Weak front legs....help

Karyn

Herd lurker
Reaction score
our 2 month old Nubian wether isn't able to get up in front legs. If I stand him up he stands as long as legs locked, otherwise goes down to knees, then down. Eagerly eats, yet seems so thin.....other 4 goats are fine....HELP???

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Few more questions. These are the common systems of cocci. Has he lost weight? Does he have diarrhea?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would want to know is he from a CAE clean herd?
Next, is he on high grain? Could he be foundering?
Third, possible mineral deficiency.

These are the most common issues.

Reactions: TAH

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do agree with others... you should check for parasites and cocci with a fecal analysis. Remember cocci does NOT always give diarrhea. Usually if there is diarrhea you have an extreme load.

Karyn

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for advice, sites, and information. He eats fine, drinks, is his normal little self, just legs come out from under him, front legs first, then down.:( He stands if I help him, then he'll eat away. Normal temp, no diarrhea, urinates fine. Not sure about the CAE?? I don't know what to do for the little guy. Someone said BoSe shot????

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know what to do for the little guy.

These are the things you DO for the little guy.

Have a fecal run first and see what shows.
Take the advice of your veterinarian... if not a goat vet run the following by the vet....
To check for deficiency have vet draw blood and send it out to PADDL for mineral analysis
Find out if his dam was CAE negative... technically you shouldn't test til 6 months but if you ran a test on him and numbers are sky high than he probably is CAE positive.

IMO he sounds like a CAE goat but he could just have deficiency. Is he on minerals?

Every once in a while you may get a goat that is a failure to thrive and if as time goes by he isn't gaining and is not growing etc euthanize him and send out for necropsy.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this new to him or has he always had problems standing? CAE is possible but it is typically the hind legs in kids that become lame; the kid may also have seizures. The fact that he is thin is worrisome though.

I would do the Bo-Se as well as getting the fecal and CAE test done ASAP. But I live in a selenium deficient area so Bo-Se is always on my radar. That may not be the case for you.