Weak Pasterns-what would you do

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
SheepGirl, I think you made mention of the Vitamin B in another post, and after looking up the benefits of Vitamin B I didn't see anything referencing the relationship between that and foot and ankle joints. BUT, since you get your knowledge and experience from your old time sheep farmer neighbor, I'm going to trust that you know what you are talking about. I'm going to go to Southern States this morning and get some.

Out of the 5 lambs we bought, 2 have the problem. Beastie and Snowcap had the same father (Jacob) and different mothers. Snowcap had the Icelandic mother. They've all been fed the same thing since I got them. So it's 50/50 whether or not it's genetics or vitamin/mineral deficiency.
Whenever we would have a lamb down on its pasterns, we'd give 'em a vit B shot and it'd be up within a couple days. But since the two affected have the same sire, it makes me think it's just bad conformation...do you know what the sire's pasterns looked like or his parent's pasterns?

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had to look back and see if I had a picture of their sire and I do. You can't really tell how his pasterns are by this pic, but the fact that he is up and walking about makes me think he's okay. But who knows the history of the whole lineage.

5910_fuzzy_wuzzy_ii.jpg

I got the Vitamin B, Sheepgirl, so we'll give it a whirl and see if it helps!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
I got the Vitamin B, Sheepgirl, so we'll give it a whirl and see if it helps!
Awesome :) I am going to call my neighbor and see what he says about the vit B and what it does that helps the weak pasterns.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Okay, he said that vitamin B helps the appetite. When sheep have an appetite, they'll eat and they will get the energy they need to walk around and work the tendons and ligaments in their feet/legs, which helps improve weak pasterns. I asked him about your lamb and he said if the vit B shot doesn't work, then it is likely a genetic issue caused by the great grandparents or grandparents of your lamb, not necessarily the parents.

So what I got from it is that it doesn't help it DIRECTLY, but rather what the vit B 'fixes' that helps the lamb.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay that makes sense, and that connects with what I read about the Vitamin B. It will help their energy levels. Now question is should I just let him roam around and try to forage for himself, or keep him confined and feed him until he gets stronger. Hmmm. Because, after all, we did have him out on the pasture and he was struggling to get around. He was laying down a lot because it was hard for him to walk. I think I'll keep him in the barnyard and try and feed him, and then let him out to exercise.

I'll let you know in a couple days how the progress is after giving him the shots. We gave Beastie the shot, too.

Thanks Sheepgirl for talking to the neighbor guy!

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Do you know if that ram is registered? He's got a nice horn spread but I'm not sure I've ever seen one missing his blaze before. JSBA requires inspection before registering sheep so I don't see many Jacob rams with conformation bad enough to pass on completely fallen pasterns like that. If you're a member of the jacob-list email group you can ask them for more ideas if the B vitamins don't help. They're a real knowledgeable group and happy to help. I'm sorry you're having to go through this with a boy you've grown attached to. Isn't that always the way!

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi Roving Jacobs, no I believe he is NOT registered. The really sad thing is the other guy, BeastieBoy, my Jacob RAM lamb, was supposed to be my Jacob ram for my flock, and he has pastern problems as well, although not as bad. He seems to be improving a bit, unlike poor Snowcap. Beastie is adorable, sweet, and has FIVE horns, he looks like a wild sea creature. I'll get a picture of him and post it.

I will check with the Jacob list and see what they have to say, also if there is an Icelandic list I will check with them. I still haven't found anything about Icelandic's and copper.

Thank you Roving

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here's a picture of BeastieBoy.
5910_img_7958.jpg

And here is a close up of his hoof. Note, he is not the worse of the two. He and Snowcap both got the Vit B injection today, Beastie is out grazing and Snowcap is laying in the stall, his choice.

5910_img_7955.jpg

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Man, that is so painful looking. Those poor guys.

Here is where I heard about the copper issues in Icelandics: http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/jacob-list/2011-March/011127.html

It caught my attention because the person having issues with wobbly lambs used the same ram as I did and I was worried it was something genetic. None of my lambs from him have had any problems though so I'm pretty sure it was some sort of deficiency. I forget what exactly happened in the end.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay, it's settled. I am going to get a blood test done to see what I am dealing with here.

Latest posts