Weak Pasterns-what would you do

bluebirdsnfur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So sorry your little boys are not doing better. That really does suck. I hope they do get better. :fl

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Alright everyone, here's the lowdown.

I spoke with 2 vets this morning. The one vet, who I highly regard, thought that you couldn't tell much from the blood work as far as mineral deficiencies go. He said if we end up putting Snowcap down he could do a liver biopsy on him and maybe tell something. So he basically wrote him off.

The second vet I spoke with also said that once the lambs get to that point, and if they haven't responded to the BoSe treatments, that there's nothing else that can be done. She thought it was probably not a mineral deficiency since the entire flock was not affected. I told her they had weak pasterns since we got them, and she ascertained that since they were weaned so young and were predisposed to weak genetics anyways, that weaning them before 12 weeks probably really hurt them. They were about 5-7 weeks when we got them and they went directly to creep feed.

So they both said there was nothing we can do for him. :hu And since we gave him the shot of LA200, it stays in there system for up to 28 days so we can't eat him. Not that I want to eat him, but it's just kind of a waste. I guess little Snowcap will make a beautiful hide for my chair. :hit

I told them Beastie was better off than Snowcap at this point, and they said just keep up the BoSe treatments with him. Hopefully he will grow out of it. We will take Snowcap's liver to the one vet to do a biopsy just to be sure there wasn't something viral, or bacterial or mineral/vitamin deficiency.

Tim once again reminded me that IT'S A FARM ANIMAL. FARM ANIMALS DIE SOMETIMES> pooh on him. :barnie

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Awww, sorry the news wasn't better for you and your guy :(. Two like opinions are pretty firm, but take comfort there will be no more suffering. Glad you will do the biopsy, that will at least let you know what was going on there.

Not to be cold or uncaring, but if you don't want him to go to waste, if you have dogs.... He would be great feed for them. I feed the frozen parts that I get from the processor (bones, heart, liver, etc). In the heat we've been having, my LGDs really enjoy and appreciate them.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I'm so sorry the vets couldn't help more. I'm glad you're getting the biopsy done though, that should ease your mind about your remaining boy. There's nothing wrong with mourning, even if it is a farm animal. They still touch our lives.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks you guys, it's sad.

I think I will give the lamb to my dogs, after the biopsy to make sure there isn't something dangerous to them.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would NEVER allow dog(s) to eat an animal that I didn't want them to develop a taste for. Allowing them to eat this one will possibly give them the idea that sheep are nothing but food (tasty at that). It's a small step from eating a dead lamb to graduating to live ones. JMHO.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
I would NEVER allow dog(s) to eat an animal that I didn't want them to develop a taste for. Allowing them to eat this one will possibly give them the idea that sheep are nothing but food (tasty at that). It's a small step from eating a dead lamb to graduating to live ones. JMHO.
Most dogs will never make the connection. We feed our dogs chicken, lamb, beef, etc... all the time and they never go out and kill a live one.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
purplequeenvt said:
jhm47 said:
Most dogs will never make the connection. We feed our dogs chicken, lamb, beef, etc... all the time and they never go out and kill a live one.
I agree. Just make sure if you do feed the bones, that they are raw. Cooked bones are brittle and will splinter. All of the meat I give my dogs is raw.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I don't think she's saying she'd let the dogs eat off the carcass. The dogs will never make the connection between lamb meat in a bowl vs. an actual lamb.