Weaning at 60 Days

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Weaning at a little over 60 days ? is this ok to do. Im hoping to wean my Ram Lamb off his dam so he can head to his new home, he is eating grain/ hay and drinking water. I have looked around on google and advice seems to kind of be all over the place depending on what your operation is and type of sheep that you have. He is a Katahdin if that matters, Also very healthy and what looks to be a good weight, he is a solid and chunky little guy, I just don't have a scale for him to get on to get the official weight.
Advice?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS weans ram lambs at 2 months and they can be sexually active REAL early. I cut mine and name them Dinner. I kept a ram lamb from last year's lambing. He turned a year old on New Year's Eve and had his first lambs hit the ground on December 9, 2018.

I do think that it would be perfectly ok for you to wean your ram lamb now. :thumbsup

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of the bigger producers that we know wean at two months and a month later put the ewe in with the rams. We haven't done it as strictly as we should have in the past but we will wean all ram lambs at two months this year and put them on feed as well as hay so they are ready for market two months later.

You should be fine with what you are doing.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone. Do I gradually separate him? Or just go for it cold turkey. I'm glad the buyer is keeping him a ram I'm excited to see how he turns out :)
Photo of the little dude

Attachments

• 20190104_145644.jpg
    20190104_145644.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 270

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, dairy folks wean at 30 days, you are good to go at 60 days with no special treatment! Make sure his mom isn't an over-producer so that she doesn't get mastitis (if he's her only lamb) when you take him off cold turkey.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, dairy folks wean at 30 days, you are good to go at 60 days with no special treatment! Make sure his mom isn't an over-producer so that she doesn't get mastitis (if he's her only lamb) when you take him off cold turkey.
He has a twin , a little ewe lamb that will be staying on her for now