Weaning himself?

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a 10 week old Nigerian Dwarf that was surgically castrated yesterday. Since then, he hasn't been too interested in his bottle. He's eating all else normally, drinking well but only taking about half of what he's been taking and then pushing it away or acting like he doesn't even know what to do with it. Has he decided to wean himself and the timing is just coincidental? Should I keep presenting a bottle when I feed his buddy? Thank you!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I wouldn't worry too much about your little guy... He's probably "not himself" at the moment and will take a few days to adjust to his new condition. ;) Just keep on doing what you were doing and all should be fine. I hope you'll consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ Please share some pics of your animals if you will... we all love pics. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Hope you enjoy the site!

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you also vaccinated for tetanus, that can also make him feel bad. Stress puts load on available B vitamins. I have found giving a daily B complex injection and oral probiotic until eating ok to help.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Forgot to add, I will always take temp twice a day on any animal I suspect is not feeling well. Many times I caught early something that could have been serious. I have a cheap pair of artery forceps tied with about 2 foot of string to loop on rectal thermometer. Regardless of species always keep your hand on thermometer!!! Friend lost a goat that coughed, 'inhaled' thermometer and it broke!!

Coccidia is a risk, have you treated? I know it is much drier where you are, so may not be a risk? Here in eastern Tennessee I have to treat at about 21 days old and put kids on decox feed until older.

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's crazy! I can't believe that happened to your friend, that's horrible. It probably happened super fast too.

He seems to be doing better and is eating better. It was his CDT vaccine that he got. It is VERY dry here, hopefully that keeps some of the crud to a minimum. I haven't treated for Coccidia because I haven't seen anything weird as far as that is concerned. I will keep an eye out though. Thanks!