Weaning - how long does it take?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feel for my neighbors right now...I started weaning T-Bone and Annabel last night using the fenceline method, and this morning they are LOUD!!!!! Annabel has twice jumped the 4' field fence into our backyard and been led back - thank God I decided to halter break her first!!

How long does it take for mamas' milk to dry up? How long for calves to get over the separation?

(Next year I really want to try weaning rings, but this year it didn't work out.)

Gads, she just jumped again, I heard her feet hit! I'll be back! :)

(I'm back. She found the one spot between the pumphouse and the fence with no hotwire...about 3 feet and, I thought, blocked by dense shrubs. Ha. I have a kennel panel wired in to block her access now. I shouldn't be doing this stuff in my pjs!)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd remove them for several weeks. Not sure of your setup but, if you can totally remove them from where their moms are it might be better. Hopefully, they will quit calling for their moms within a couple of days.

BTW-If you are talking about the gizmos one puts in their nose to keep them from sucking, we haven't had any luck with them. We had suckers we've tried them on and they still sucked. That is why I pail train my calves so early as it helped prevent that. Beef people I know here just move the calves to a separate pasture/pen.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
it only last a few days.....the bellowing, that is. At least with ours. And yep, I think the neighbors wanted steak during that time. LOL.
Good luck,

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
they will quit bawling in a week or less.so things should quieten down soon.it takes atlest a month to completely wean them.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mission aborted, for now. :| I connected two more ground rods and the electric fence is still not electrified. It's fine coming out of the energizer from what I can tell, but the hotwire is not hot. Looks like DH didn't read the instructions when he set up the ground...for our rocky, fast draining soil and drier conditions, we should have a middle ground wire, or at the VERY least SIX ground rods, not 2 (or the 4 we now have connected...2 more were there but not connected). Annabel escaped while I was at the hardware store and was back nursing on her mama, and I just let T-Bone back in with the herd since it's only a matter of time before he or someone else figures out the fence issue.

Wah!!!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Make sure the wire isn't grounding out somewhere. Remember weeds and tree branches will ground an electric fence too.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, now that the fence is fixed :p, I'm wondering when to try weaning again.

What would you do?

1) Separate the calves again tonight and let them bawl, even though it might disrupt the next door neighbor's sleep (she'll work tomorrow but not Friday)

OR

2) Wait until tomorrow to separate them, let them bawl Thursday through the weekend (presuming they stop by then!), because heck, it's a four-day holiday weekend, no one nearby has to work, and if we get annoyed, oh well, it's vacation time?

OR

3) It doesn't matter, someone in the neighborhood will be annoyed with all the ruckus, but it'll be over soon.

Thoughts??

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Pass out ear plugs to all your neighbors and separate them!

I would tell you to haul them over here, but then I would have to listen to it! And I just cleaned my barn, it's so clean and pretty! I don't think I am going to let my own cows in there ever again!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, I remember you cleaning your barn last year, and it was a big job! Very cool that it's only July 1 and you're finished!!!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Pass out ear plugs to all your neighbors and separate them!
AGREED! It has to be done sometime and no matter when you do it they won't be happy. Might as well get it done and over with.

I would tell you to haul them over here, but then I would have to listen to it! And I just cleaned my barn, it's so clean and pretty! I don't think I am going to let my own cows in there ever again!
:lol: You have been wanting everyone else's cattle. What's the matter, is amysflock to close to you and you're afraid she just might bring them over for the weaning?

Latest posts