Weaning...is it a must??

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today I started weaning my 6kids. They are 7 1/2 weeks old. One is being sold next week. Today has been one of the most stressful days of my life.the bawling is nonstop. I don’t think th3 kids are eating. I really need them to eat because I out the dewormer pellets in the feeders. Probably a dumb move until the6 we’re settled down. These are things a newbie just doesnn know. I was on BYC, there are a few goat people on there. We have our own thread. We talk only about goats...leave the feast of the yucky junk tha5 happens over there, we stay out o& it!! Well, the one woman has had goats a long time. She’s in her mid 60s. She said she’d sell them at 8 weeks..the left overs weaned naturally. Is that a thing? Could that really happen here? I kind of doubt it since I’m only selling one. Keeping five.it would sure be easier one, if I let it go back as it was...but, I want to rebreed the moms this fall..and maybe two kids later in the year? Depending on growth rate. So, kids nursing up till then, simply jus5 forces weaning, but when the6 are much( older? I guess I was confused, because she was the only one I ever heard say she didn’t wean.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I let my does naturally wean their kids , they certinally know when to kick them off. I am not milking them so I keep things as easy as I can for myself, and as natural as I can for my goat kids...mother (nature) knows best :highfive: so my answer is no, you do not have to force wean your goats ...it is NOT A MUST....

Last edited:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think God knew what He was doing when He designed all mammals to wean naturally....I wouldn't second guess Him. We let them wean their own offspring here as well. The only exception to that rule is if we keep the ram lambs intact, then they need to be either separated from Mom and aunts or have to wear a ram apron.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok. Sounds great... I told Chris this and now he disagrees!!! He says we already started... he says ...blah blah blah... basically he just likes to disagree with me about the farm work but he’s not the one doing research or the one doing the work!! Can you tell I’m a bit irritated right now :lol: I was up at 5 because I had an appointment. I asked for some help with milking... once again... he gave very little... which is fine IF he is going to let me decide on how to wean. I said I made a mistake. He says I’m always wrong with the farm stuff. He’s feeling sick from his shot yesterday and I’m frazzled. Guess we’re off to a rough start. But he did make me a nice pancake breakfast 😀❤️👍. So, perhaps he’ll come around???? Geez I hope sooo

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol give both of you some grace. Sounds like a rough morning. When you start a farm you get to be wrong alot bit you live and learn and learn your wrong again then you adjust. Every animal is different and each one needs something different, even the same species are individuals and need something different and that's fine. It's more fun making mistakes and learning then always knowing everything and never experiencing a challenge. Give him some time to think and your self time to breath then calmly talk about why you think what you think. My dh is the same way he tells me do what ever is needed for the farm but then he still wants a say. And that's all they really want is to be heard and know what they think matters. I would just explain and try to say these is what I learn and what do you think that way they can also make an informed desion.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think God knew what He was doing when He designed all mammals to wean naturally....I wouldn't second guess Him. We let them wean their own offspring here as well.
Not to second guess God - but there can be a problem. I have a mama pig who has week old little ones. Her babies from the last litter have pushed the new babies away and won't let them nurse unless I intervene....

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Duckfarmerpa1 I am right there with you! My kids are 8 weeks and I’m realizing I really didn’t research the weaning process - I figured moms just do it! My kids do like grain and hay, so that’s good. I think I’m going to set up a creep-feeding situation so the babies can have free access without fighting the moms....The problem is, they’re almost as big as the mamas! I like @Heart of the Matter Farm input to reduce moms’ grain...I feel like I’m pouring food bags constantly, yet they’re telling me they’re still ravenous, even with free-choice alfalfa and browse. :rolleyes:

Heart of the Matter Farm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They will always act like they don't have enough grain. Lol. You will want to cut out all alfalfa. Alfalfa hay will make them still produce milk. If they are dairy goats you can wean kids off and keep milk till about 1-2 months before kidding.