Weaning Paddles??? Anyone ever try them?

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bet there's one for goats too. Look on Tractor Supply or Jeffers.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never seen them used on goats and personally I wouldn't bother.
It is kind of a natural occurrence that they holler for each other but separating overnight is something they get use to in a few days.
You could switch them... separate in day and together at night.
Just make sure the kids have plenty of room and something to do in the day. They do much better when they have space to run jump leap and do goaty kid things and are distratced... then they start eating more hay and feed and want less of momma anyway.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, cotton in your ears for a couple days is what I recommend when the kids get weaned. I have four that are going to face that hard reality on Friday. The two moms will go to the milkers' pen and the kids stay in their pen with other goaties they know.

The little squeaks the kids emit on day two after crying all day one, does tug at your heart.

Hillaire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
the people we are getting our Oberhaslis from said they should be weaned by Saturday... they are still giving a bottle a day... I'm over here like yeah lets get that taken care of because I honestly don't want to hear more yelling then what they will do when we first bring em home lol

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
the people we are getting our Oberhaslis from said they should be weaned by Saturday... they are still giving a bottle a day... I'm over here like yeah lets get that taken care of because I honestly don't want to hear more yelling then what they will do when we first bring em home lol
The goats should be weaned for at least 2 weeks if dam raised and minimum 1 week if bottle raised before going to their new home.

This is why you see so many on here with emergency "I just got my new goats and..... fill in the blank"
Weaning and shipping off to new home is really stacking the odds to have serious stress complications.
Stress of weaning is one.
Moving to new environment is another.
Hopefully they aren't wethering them the same time too.
Make sure you do a fecal on them 4-7 days after getting them to check for cocci bloom.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stress of weaning is one.
Moving to new environment is another.
Hopefully they aren't wethering them the same time too.

I do it every year. :hide

This year 95% of the kids will be leaving on the same day and will be weaned and moved the same day. None will be wethered but quite often they are.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do it every year. :hide

This year 95% of the kids will be leaving on the same day and will be weaned and moved the same day. None will be wethered but quite often they are.

Why?
So much on new people and they don't always know the signs to look for.
At least I know you will give them basic things to watch for but still why add to the stress.