Weaning?

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nick and Molly are now 2 1/2 months old and have been eating goat chow and peanut hay as well as leaves and twigs, and the animal crackers for treats. They have been getting Sav-a-Kid replacer in the morning and evening, but we've decided to cut them down to just before bedtime for the bottle. They have been baa-aaa-aaaing long and loud today. We go out and give them goat chow and hay by hand and play with them. But, as soon as we go to do other things it's Baa-aaa-aaa!. Now, I realize that like human babies, they do this to get attention, so I'm trying to let them cry it out. But, they are VERY loud and we have neighbors fairly close. We all have between 1-3 acres. How long do you think this will go on, the crying? Are we wrong to try to wean them off the replacer at this age? I have heard and read so many conflicting advice and instructions. some say it's safe to wean at one month, others 3-4 months. They are eating solids well and growing well. They had been eating less of the replacer until a week ago. Now they scarf it up in record time! Molly, in fact, has always been smaller and about 5 pounds lighter than Nick, but no more! They both weigh 37 lbs and Molly is now almost as tall as her brother. They are mini-Saanens. I've nicknamed Molly Miss Piggy because she even butts Nick away from the food and takes his.

Do I just let them cry or is there something I can do to get them to stop without spoiling them?

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yes, if they are eating fine they can be weaned at this age. They will cry for a little while missing their bottles.

Keep them topped up with plenty of hay and high protein grain (at LEAST 16%, 18 - 20% is better). Also, give them things to climb on, in and under, that will keep them amused and less likely to scream

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. As long as they are eating/drinking good on their own, then weaning will be fine. The crying is the most difficult part of the whole process. As suggested, give them something to occupy their time when you're not with them.