Wehner Homestead 2018 Breeding

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get to start a goat breeding thread!! I meant to start it before the fact but anyway, it’s a necessity now.

Knight covered Caramel today. DH witnessed the act three times while they were together on two occasions. Since they are both ND, 145 days will be 10/5. This will be her 2F. She kidded with twin bucklings April 2017.

We will be watching to see if she shows signs of cycling or if she’s bred. I may do a blood test to get a definite result.

Getting excited about fall babies. This will help us to have plenty of milk through the winter for DD2.

More breedings will occur this fall and into each winter for 2019.

I’ll try to get a good pic of Knight and a pic of Caramel to post.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exposed Caramel again this morning as Knight (who is two pens over, had jumped into the pen with Diamond’s bucklings to be closer) and I wanted to make sure she had been covered. She was very annoyed by his advances and wouldn’t stand. You’d have thought I deflated his hot air balloon! Either way, I’m thinking he got the job done and we shall see.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Caramel and Diamond were butting heads last night. That isn’t typical and means that one or both is cycling. We aren’t planning on breeding Diamond until sometime next year but need to make sure Caramel is bred.

We did let her out with Knight for a few minutes last night and this morning. He seemed somewhat interested but she wasn’t flirty at all and didn’t even consider standing.

I think we will send blood on her when we send in Blossom’s blood work soon so that we know one way or the other.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to finalize the rest of my breeding plans for the year...thinking just Blossom if she passes her testing and Snowflake because I want another doe out of her so bad.

Come January, I’ll breed Jasmine, Sparkle, and CeCe.

Diamond is up in the air. Depends on if her supply gives out when Jasmine is weaned. Currently, she gives the least milk of the three. (Snowflake and Nellie milk just over 2 cups and Diamond is just under one cup.)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just an FYI. If you are breeding CeCe and sparkle for mini's I would do it sooner only because Standard breeds really have a much harder time kidding in summer and kids have a harder time as well.
We breed a lot of Lamanchas and all the ones bred for late kiddings struggle and have a hard time. If we breed the two Raina does to Kiegh for minis we will be breeding right after the state fair. I would rather breed early October then early November but we have 25 goats going to fair and to much going on to add breeding in the mix. 3 shows between now and then as well.
No more standards kidding after March. This will be early April. I still don't like it but will do it if we decide to breed those two.
We are going to focus on minis this year because I will not be retaining but 3 goats next year 1 will be from Mariah/Black Tie - same breeding that produced Cece. The other two will be minis.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just an FYI. If you are breeding CeCe and sparkle for mini's I would do it sooner only because Standard breeds really have a much harder time kidding in summer and kids have a harder time as well.
We breed a lot of Lamanchas and all the ones bred for late kiddings struggle and have a hard time. If we breed the two Raina does to Kiegh for minis we will be breeding right after the state fair. I would rather breed early October then early November but we have 25 goats going to fair and to much going on to add breeding in the mix. 3 shows between now and then as well.
No more standards kidding after March. This will be early April. I still don't like it but will do it if we decide to breed those two.
We are going to focus on minis this year because I will not be retaining but 3 goats next year 1 will be from Mariah/Black Tie - same breeding that produced Cece. The other two will be minis.

I can do that! I just thought you wanted me to wait until they were older.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
For standards I'd wait til next year. For 1st gen minis just make sure weight is good and hip width is good.
We are starting to prep our does now for the ones we will breed.
Just before breeding we will also give selenium.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
For standards I'd wait til next year. For 1st gen minis just make sure weight is good and hip width is good.
We are starting to prep our does now for the ones we will breed.
Just before breeding we will also give selenium.

Noted and thank you!!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We’ve considered what was mentioned above and will be breeding CeCe and Sparkle in October for March kids.

I’ve mostly figured out who I want them bred to but some of it depends on if Theo is mature enough to get CeCe bred. I’m already trying to figure out a couple options to give him the height boost that he will need.

The plan is for King to breed Sparkle. I absolutely love the escutcheons that he put on Nellie’s daughters. They haven’t freshened yet since they were just born in April but I’m really excited to see what else he improved.

I’ll try to get updated pictures of these goats soon!