Wehner Homestead 2018 Calving: Done

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
OK, so when do you know/decide/determine that she's been in actual labor, has stalled or gotten stuck, and start considering the chains and pulling?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
If the water bag starts showing and is hanging out the vulva, that means that labour is imminent. That's the biggest sign right there, and the time to really watch her. I think I've heard vets say that usually if nothing progresses after an hour or two, time to dig out the chains or get the vet out.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
WE HAVE A CALF!!! :weee:ya

Moxie delivered a heifer on her own! We expected black and white but not quite this flashy. I think DD1 will claim her when she sees her! :love She hasn’t nursed successfully yet but she’s trying.

38391EA1-F6EA-40C7-B513-D170D89C6AB1.jpeg

69002A1C-DB5B-4D39-8124-60D3D16E3642.jpeg
8E61C25E-EC4F-4CEC-AE12-70692F535760.jpeg

Maxine is stringing discharge and appears to be contracting more regularly...:pop

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with GB. The last few years we have been running nearly 75% heifer calves. When my son would report that so and so had a calf, and "of course it is another heifer" I would just say well, "a live heifer is better than a dead bull" ..... We were beginning to think all we were going to get was heifers when we want a greater percentage of bulls since steers are worth more at sale time. This year we are running closer to 50/50 so far, but unfortunately have had a few dead ones. Shipped one cow 2 weeks ago that wouldn't take a graft calf. Shipped 2 today that had dead calves and the one we would have tried to put a calf on, was totally nuts in the chute and we couldn't even get ahold of her teats to check for milk so I said GONE.....She seriously tried to kill him with kicking out. Not worth getting hurt, and I would not subject a calf to that kind of attitude. The other raised a mediocre calf last year and wasn't the best milker so no point in trying to put a calf on her.

Bought 5 bred cows tonight and one cow/calf pair for under $800 ea., about $4800 total. Cattle are running cheaper in general. Some brought $13-$1500 per pair, but it will take 5 years to make a profit off them with what current prices have been the past 2 years. I cannot justify that. The ones we got were not fancy, and if they only raise their calf this year and we sell both we ought to come out even or a little ahead. It is the feeding all year that takes the profit way down. So we will run them through the chute, check teeth/mouths for approx age, and go from there. They are all vet confirmed preg today before the sale. Getting $500 for a cull cow avg, makes these pretty cheap if they all calve and raise just one calf to sell. They are a little thin, so will benefit from unlimited hay for a month then out on grass. If they do good and are not too old, they will go with the bulls and get bred back. After the second calf they will be profitable if there are no death losses.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH got this pic of Moxie’s girl when he got home. We’ve named her Mallory. As she’s dried, we can tell she has patches of black and roan.
View attachment 45853

Looks like a holstein with a little blue roan in it for the color. Naturally the build is a little different. Had a cow on a dairy that had several blue roan patches. Probably had some shorthorn in the background.

Latest posts