Wehner Homestead 2018 Calving: Done

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It doesn't help that cattle are creatures of habit and will opt to walk in the same paths over and over, even if they're plodding along in deep mud they have created, when there's solid ground just a few yards away. Sometimes I think they are just flat out lazy.
Next to fences and thru gateways are the worst.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went out and got some pics today. They aren’t the best because I can’t go muddin’. It will give you a better idea of what they look like (and how much mud we have!)

Maizy (and Scarlett’s :cool:) bull is still in a barn paddock with his two mothers. I love how fuzzy he is!
453ED7B7-0353-48BB-803A-E275FB04FE91.jpeg
1829F6F6-29F7-4101-9F4E-D277D7CECEEF.jpeg
CA97D0BC-270C-4CAF-A55B-4A60646D0F5B.jpeg

Milk Bar!!! :lol: Dolly and her bull calf-L, Maddie and Indy-R (the little bull has a milk mustache:))
A6C5652C-E870-4A5C-B301-B83A695CC9D7.jpeg

Another pic of Dolly’s bull:
F8E75C03-D99B-4DA1-99B4-102D8948B0CC.jpeg

I haven’t introduced our blue roan heifer, Moxie. She’s due to have her first calf this spring out of our bull, Otis. Moxie’s granddam is Maddie.
D2C1D283-6337-4DF0-8223-979359199F04.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel for you with the mud. My calf pen is like that and all I keep doing is putting more shavings in the barn so they have a drier place to lay down. But when I bring in the 4 nurse cows, and they HAVE to pee and poop, it just makes it messier again. Like, girls how about you go outside and do that.......

Since the calves are getting bigger and eating more hay and grain, the cows only get about 5 hours in with "their calves" as opposed to the 8 or so that they were getting when it was so cold. I can't turn the calves out with the cows, as the calves will steal off the first calf heifers and their 3 month old calves out in the field. Calves on nurse cows are very oportunistic; any teat is fair game.... It's a pain right now. And I have one cow that has her 2nd batch of calves on her so if they were to be out loose, the older calves would get all the milk. Right now, I let the 2 littler ones in and then let the older ones on her to "clean her up" when they have had a good deal of milk. Wasn't planning on this, but lost one of my nurse cows and her 3 little calves went over on this cow before I let her bigger calves in on her so I decided that it was better than trying to put those 3 on bottles. Unfortunately I lost one, but the other 2 are doing good on their 2nd mother. The bigger ones are pushing 300 lbs so they can afford to share, and eat more grain and hay.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got another pic of Miss Indy today. She’s got quite an impressive top on her for her age. We may retain her but it depends on what else we get.
71B57C82-6AA4-4759-AFB7-8647A5C47AFF.jpeg

The two bull calves are doing good. No more concerns with Maizy’s and his umbilicus. Just waiting (and watching ;)) patiently for Melody because we don’t think she will make it to 3/1.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss Indy is a nice looking calf at this young age.

Thanks! We will really have a hard time not keeping her. This line is so docile and they are great mothers with longevity. Her dam is 12 years old and has never missed a year. She sticks every AI on the first time too!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If this line has so much going for it why would you not keep her? Docility, fertility, longevity.....??
Good genotypes to look for Jan.
But, they are in the business of selling calves so it might be a good one to sell.
OTOH, Tho I personally very much like the color, it might not be a varied enough phenotype to retain for breed stock in a sector that (as WH put it) "likes a little flash" (chrome).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess that selling show/club type calves do better with a little flash. I am all for practicality. But, we are trying to get to where I can make my "living" off the cattle once I retire, added to SS. Although, it's pretty tough to do. I still think that we can make enough to pay a little extra towards my retirement. The cattle are paying the mtg. on the 75 acres we bought. Not making a living, but .... the cattle do have to pay their way. Maybe the sales of "showy" cattle for the kids etc to show is more profitable. We never got into the show cattle.