Wehner Homestead 2018 Calving: Done

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think WH should take a walk on the wild side so the speak..like the ones below I stopped and took a pic of on the way into town this morning..these photos don't do these girls justice, but there's loads of chrome and flash. And what a mishmash, but all good doers with little input.
LH, Watusi, brafords, tigers and a couple of straight Brahma to boot and he's using a big ol polled Santa Gertrudis bull on all of them. Calf makers and momma makers.
chrome2.jpg

chrome1.jpg

Of course, a feisty old gentleman like myself might be in for all he could handle walking out in there amongst 'em...those tigerstripes and brindles aren't for the meek.
:hide:eek:

I'd love to have a pasture full of the brindles tho.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard You make me smile! :cool:

@farmerjan Ember is worth 4K and she’s standing in my pasture not getting shown because I’ve hurt my back and we are behind on so many projects. Indy has the potential to be better than Ember. Only time will tell.:) (If I was betting though, I’d put my money on her staying. ;))

**I will add that we have price ranges and show people what is in their price range. We have nice calves that sell for market price with good temperaments (not broke to lead/tie) that will win their class but won’t win a show. We charge another fee for breaking, etc.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scarlett, Maizy, and Maizy’s bull calf have joined the herd. It was cause for everyone but the two expecting very soon to kick up their heels and run around. The moms with babies were chasing their offspring like it was some drastic race. Very entertaining for the kids.

Melody and Bailey are both developing decent udders thus far and have started swelling. Melody’s prolapse isn’t worse. We talked to the vet and were told as long as it doesn’t get worse and she doesn’t prolapse her uterus, we are good. (That’s what I thought but it’s nice to hear too.) They are due 3/1 and 3/5 but we don’t expect either of them to go to their due date....

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Melody and Bailey are both developing decent udders thus far and have started swelling. Melody’s prolapse isn’t worse. We talked to the vet and were told as long as it doesn’t get worse and she doesn’t prolapse her uterus, we are good. (That’s what I thought but it’s nice to hear too.) .
No worries. Just keep about 40lbs of sugar handy.........or................

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Udders are developing on Melody and Bailey as the waddle around through the slop. The babies have started really kicking up their heels despite the mud. Just praying no one gets injured in the mess!

I got just a few pics from outside the fence that are worth sharing. DH was putting out hay.

First two are the lovely Miss Indy:
904A3FB9-879F-461B-A68F-3454720F7AEC.jpeg
41575948-FB58-4773-AC3C-4FF4287031F2.jpeg

Then the boys. L: Maizy’s, R: Dolly’s
28DC5BAE-CAD5-40BA-BF43-3BB6B52C1F0F.jpeg

We have yet to get a very good pic of Dolly’s. She won’t let us close and I can’t tromp through the mud to get the angle. Maybe I’ll take my good camera out and try. All the pics thus far are from my phone.

Oh and we are seeing signs of bodies prepping for labor on Reagan and the very beginning for Moxie!! It’s going to get exciting!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Melody is due tomorrow. Bailey is due Monday. Both could go any time. Udders are present and swelling has occurred. They are holding their tails out a little and having lots of discharge. Just waiting...:caf

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bailey calved!! She had a black/white (minimal white) bull calf! He was dry and had been up and nurses when I got home for work!
21385821-973F-4DA7-B521-14C52171EE2C.jpeg

That puts us at 3 bulls and 1 heifer calf. The count should be changing before midnight as Melody is off to herself and discharging like crazy. We are checking her every hour!