Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! We’ve had some ups and downs since the quads arrived.

Nellie didn’t act excited about her feed yesterday morning but she was nursing her kids. I checked her later and she hadn’t touched it. She was more lethargic, her eyes were slightly glazed, and when she got up she was obviously weak.

With her recent history of possible mastitis, I immediately checked her udder. Milk present. No chunks or discoloration. No hard areas and no area with a warmer temperature or redness.

Next was a temperature check. 105.3! Definitely made my head spin. Dug through my supply of meds and conferred with two awesome goat friends and mentors. Decided to do lute and penicillin. I’d have given her banamine if I had any. Made sure she was drinking.

This morning her temp was 103.1. Evidence of drinking, eating a bit of feed and a little hay. More active, moving better, more alert. Gave another dose of pen and talked to vet. Offered a different antibiotic but wanted to give her more time if this one was working instead of changing it up.

Tonight she’s much better. Temp was 102.3. She has eaten more feed and hay and is drinking water. She’s also cleaning her kids.

We did see her push once tonight and several times last night, leading us to believe she retained the placenta. I ended up getting a globe and some lube and was able to get two fingers in and feel that her cervix was closed. (This was mainly to rule out another kid being present and unable to enter the world. Not suspected with quads but figured it wouldn’t hurt to check.)

In the meantime, I noted that the two doelings appeared hungry and thinner. The two bucklings were robust and shoving the girls out of the way to nurse.

I had to run some errands and pick up a few things to have house goats. We pulled the bucklings tonight after a few pics and updated weights. They are housegoats for now since it’s in the 30s at night and I don’t have a safe, warm place for them outside.

I made 4oz bottles for the boys. They each readily took an ounce but went to sleep. I was tempted to keep the milk for the next feeding but felt like I should offer it to the girls. Each of the girls inhaled the other three ounces. I’ll give the girls another chance to take a bottle in the morning but I’m hoping that without the competition, they’ll now thrive.

We pulled the boys because they won’t be retained. They are destined for the food market and will quickly head there after turning 8 weeks. I won’t even stress them by castrating or dehorning them.

Our milking is on a modified system. DD2 ends up in the hospital randomly for varied amounts of time. This is difficult because someone has to milk. If we have kids on our milk does, they can be left together and we can start separating again when we are home. Finding someone to do chores is hard enough but milking seems impossible. This doesn’t always work but it helps. Caramel is still nursing her October girls, Rapunzel and Snow White, and we just separate them at night.

As far as weights, Buck, Sweetheart, and Gunner were all 3.0# when we weighed them at birth. Flower was the smallest at 2.4#. They were born Saturday early afternoon. We weighed Flower Sunday evening and she was up to 2.8%. That made me feel better. We didn’t get weights done last night between worrying about Nellie and DH’s asthma glaring up. Everyone got weighed tonight for another comparison. Buck and Gunner both weighed 3.5#. I was glad because that meant they are both gaining. I was disturbed by the girls’ weights. Sweetheart weighed 2.8# and Flower weighed 2.4#. Both had lost weight! I’m actually going to use a different scale to weigh everyone morning and night tomorrow for another evaluation.

My kids are thrilled about having the boys in the house!

All four! L-R: Buck, Sweetheart, Gunner, and Flower
A5CD7FCE-F84B-4C54-BA19-EE71AC20E93A.jpeg

Quarters in the farmhouse.
F11ADA04-47DF-4CCD-ADCF-D852DBC970BC.jpeg

Nellie with L to R: Buck, Gunner, Flower, Sweetheart
577B817E-EC56-4F4C-A22A-36078277D1F7.jpeg

Buck and Gunned getting comfortable.
A3D1A85B-56B1-4423-AEF2-CD1BB0FCD5B8.jpeg

Did anyone notice that “Buck” is the BUCKskin BUCK? Lol

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear. I hope Nellie gets to feeling better and that Flower and Sweetheart haven't really lost weight and that your scale is wrong. I tried using a digital scale to weigh my girls but it would not register.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just finished a round of bottles. Buck and Gunner woke me, ready for their next feeding with their little maaas! They sure got louder when they saw me. One finished a 4 Oz bottle and the other finished 3.5oz. Gunner peed. They settled back in after that.
96D7C3C0-A32C-4E9E-9EEC-7D2BF3C3D33B.jpeg

(They are on a piece of old tablecloth for now. I forgot to grab pee pads while I was out yesterday. I’ll get them today.)

I grabbed the scales and went out to see the girls. I could only temporarily get a weight before it zeroed but what I did see was 2.4# for Sweetheart and 1.8# for Flower! Oh my! Talk about red flags! I’d already heated 8 Oz of milk to take to them so I started with Flower and let her drink her fill. I noted Nellie wasn’t standing still for Sweetheart. When I switched, Nellie stood better for Flower but Flower was struggling to stay latched. Sweetheart took straight to the bottle too. I ended up switching them back and forth until each took a little more than 3 Oz. Nellie did stand for a few minutes for both of them. They then retreated to their heated barrel and me to the house.

I’ll reeval Nellie when I go out to milk Caramel. I’d like to get Nellie on the stand and really go over her udder...May have to wait until tonight when DH can help me.

In the meantime, I’ll supplement the baby girls for a few days while Nellie fights this infection and pray that things works out for her to raise the does.

**original weights were on a feed scale. I’ve noted a margin of error with it. Not a huge deal with anything we feed and mainly the cattle get measured feed because I go by scoop weight for my goats.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boys have adjusted well to house life. I just need to figure out a way to offer them hay and water. They eat about every 4-6 hours and are up to 4oz at a time. Both pee copious amounts!

I’d forgotten to get puppy pads while out and about so I made a special trip out last night. The tablecloth works in a pinch but isn’t absorbent and they ended up in a really wet mess. I had to clean them up and make sure they had a dry bed.

My baby boys...they know who feeds them!
C0BFC059-3B1F-4F29-ADC1-BBE39C3FCFDC.jpeg

Had to get a pick of the back of Gunner’s tail. The coloring is so neat!
D7569CE4-E081-4288-BFEC-6F519104EB78.jpeg

The girls are doing much better. Flower’s legs are getting stronger and their bellies are full. I stopped supplementing after the 4am feeding yesterday. Weights on the feed scale last night were 2.8# and 3.5#. That’s progress. I’ll weigh them again tonight.

Nellie wouldn’t tolerate me checking her temp. That tells me that she’s feeling better if she feels good enough to fight me! She did get her antibiotic shot. I observed her chewing her cud, eating feed, and eating hay. I also had to top of her waterer so I think we are making progress.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nellie is back to being herself. She got pen again tonight and tomorrow should be the last day.

The girls gained some weight today. Sweetheart went from 3.5 to 3.7# and Flower went from 2.8 to 3.0#. I’d like to see a bit more gain but I’ll take it for now as they figure things out. The girls no longer look sunken in. I’ll weigh them again tomorrow night. If they don’t gain more, I’ll go back to supplementing them and I’ll do more evaluation of Nellie’s udder. I did witness both girls nursing several times today.

The boys are rotten! What else is there to say? Lol! I haven’t weighed them as it’s too cold to take them to the barn now that they are housegoats. Need to brainstorm a plan for their eviction...they can’t stay in here for eight weeks!
Full bellies!
6837D2C6-4101-4815-8B17-B6495C28E8EE.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
SO excited! My baby girls are gaining weight!!! Tonight Sweetheart was 4.4# and Flower was 3.3#! I think Sweetheart had eaten already so it gave her a bigger advantage.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snowflake is monstrous! She isn’t due until 6/17!! That’s almost 3 more months! I’m scared to know how many are in there...

DB6453DB-8EE7-4C1F-9CD9-C266793BA378.jpeg

385B7281-7FD3-445B-9C00-8F89EDAA1D53.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@MiniSilkys yep. She was bred on a specific date by the buck and that’s the only time they were together. (Only other chance was the day Nellie got bred and we are way past that window as far as how she’s progressing.)

I’ve watched her size grow since the breeding. She had trips as a FF and she was a quad. Definitely a litter.

Latest posts