Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our male GP, Trip looks huge, but barely breaks 100 pounds, and sometimes under that. He eats fairly good, but he RUNS ALL NIGHT LONG! He explodes from wherever he's resting, barking and running to greet what ever booger is out there.

Their weight is what it is. It sure doesn't bother them! LOL

Queenie is, as always, beautiful. :love

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here’s my chicken feed eater @Baymule !! She thinks I have that big bucket just for her! :lol:
A9BC5BED-BFA5-46BC-B267-9D67EBEBF151.jpeg

Witnessed Queenie chase a fox out of the cattle pasture!! :celebrateIt hightailed it away and I’m hoping it stays away.

DH definitely agrees that we need another LGD but want to find the right one.

As far as Queenie’s weight...I’m okay with her being lanky. I just wanted to make sure that worms weren’t keeping her from growing right and getting the proper nutrition. My Pyrs were winter eaters for sure! Lol

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you know how I was worried about Queenie being skinny...she got down to 77#. Fecal showed coccidia so she’s now on treatment for that. Should definitely make a difference in her weight!

Queenie also got spayed on Monday. This was a horrible decision for us to make as we were torn and I battled up until that morning against it. DH insisted and I had trouble arguing with her coming in heat if we are in the hospital with DD2. Either way, he almosted talked himself out of it when she started howling as he drove out the driveway. She made it clear all the way to the vet and once there that she was uncomfortable and wanted back on her farm.

The surgery went well and I’ll take her stitches out in 10 days. She also got her yearly round of shots and her heartworm/tick tests came back negative.

The farm didn’t fare as well. We lost a hen from my Easter batch and another had a big chunk of his tail missing. There were feathers everywhere. Of course it was my favorite hen in that group! It appears as though something reached in and tried to grab them off their perch. I can’t believe we didn’t suffer greater losses. Our pens are not predator proof as there wasn’t a need. Queenie was keeping something at bay last night. No additional losses with Queenie on duty.

I’ll try to get a pic of her to share soon. I wish I had her reaction on video when they walked her out to us. She was completely depressed and defeated until she saw her kids. Their excited squeals were like music to her ears and she came alive!

I finally found a breeder that I’m willing to jump through all the hoops they put out to get a male Toli. Stay tuned. It’ll be a pup, just not sure on the timeframe of availability and we have to pass all the “tests.”

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a hard decision. Since you don't want to be a breeder, it is the right decision. Poor Queenie, so sad at being away from home, and so glad to get back to work! Sorry about your hens.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your hen. Why does it always have to be the good ones or our favorite that pass? I know we don't have control over that, it was just a "thinking out loud" kinda question.
Love those reactions from dogs, so sad and depressed not getting to see their family but the second their family is in sight, they get so happy and completely forgive you for being out of their sight!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Queenie Update: She’s rotten! (Y’all knew that though!)

We weighed her a few weeks ago and she’s up to 89#. I need to have another fecal run on her. She’s currently getting 1/2 adult dog food and 1/2 puppy chow (not large breed) that we are adding for the extra nutrients. She’s on full feed so her bowl gets filled as needed.

Backup is coming! We’ve placed our names on a list to get a male pup when they have another litter. Just waiting on the female to cycle again and that’s expected around Nov. Fullblood Anatolians, not registered, parents are working dogs with exposure for pups.