Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chicken Noodle Soup

2 cups cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
8 cups chicken broth or stock
1 box Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice - Original
1/4 t pepper
1 T parsley flakes
2 cups sliced carrots
3 cups egg noodles

My recipe is literally the ingredient list! Lol
I use stock from the chicken if possible and cook it by a slow boil with bouillon. I cook the carrots in the broth after the chicken. The noodles are added at the end just to make them soft but not disintegrate. I have substituted canned carrots if I’m in a hurry. DH doesn’t like celery and it isn’t traditionally used but you could add it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We did have chicken soup last night.

My family recipe is a little different.

Chicken(not really an amount..whatever is on hand for how much soup you want)
Chicken soup base
carrots
celery
onion
garlic powder
salt and pepper
poultry seasoning
rubbed sage
Whatever kind of noodles or rice....noodles always cooked separate because my mother could never stand soggy noodles in left over soup.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been slowly venturing back into cooking since injuring my back. My family is more than ready for me to start making meals again instead of scraping by on this and that. This is a favorite and even the kids eat more than one helping.

Tuna Noodle Casserole (NOT the out of the box variety)

1 box whole grain rotini noodles
1 bag frozen peas
2 cans cream of potato soup
3 cans tuna (the smaller ones, I use water packed, wild-caught)
1/2 cup ranch dressing
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 T powdered garlic
1/2 t black pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Cook and drain noodles. Blanche peas to start cooking processing and drain when draining noodles. While noodles cooking, put cream soup, drained tuna, ranch, mayonnaise, garlic, and pepper in large mixing bowl and combine. Also, spray a 9x13 with nonstick spray. Stir noodles and peas into mixing bowl, then dump into greased pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.

16E1F096-EB78-4938-9B95-A7EAE17288D3.jpeg

**I didn’t realize I was out of frozen peas so I didn’t add them this time. Instead, I served peas and carrots on the side instead of peas in the casserole and cooked carrots on the side.

**This recipe is enough for two meals for our family. It does freeze well and is good leftover.

**I’ve substituted sour cream for mayonnaise when we didn’t have any.

**DH and his coworkers like that this recipe is really creamy and not dry.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks delicious! Our recipe is similar, We use any noodles, cream of mushroom instead, no ranch or mayo and velveeta cut into cubes mixed in. Ironically i was thinking of making tuna noodle casserole for dinner tomorrow night! I bought the tuna last Saturday.

I'm sure glad your family and your DH's coworkers will be happy your cooking again, so far everything looks good. :clap

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
As many of you know, DD2 has Spina Bifida and all of the associated digestive issues. Basically, the nerves in her bowel don’t work so she doesn’t move things through like we do. Her diet is (mostly, she’s 2 so :idunno) adjusted to make it easier for her to pass things along. This eliminates processed foods, bovine dairy and products, red meat, peanut butter, bananas, white sugar and flour, and anything deep fried.

I wanted to offer an explanation as to why you’ll find some of the modifications that are present in things I cook. We try to focus on whole grains, goat milk, honey as a sweetener whenever possible, and veggies. She’s not big on fruit, though she surprises me day to day.

Latest posts