Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
SLW's hit that adolescent stage where they are UGLY! I bought SLW chicks one time that hit that ugly stage and I thought I had been swindled! LOL I am never ready for chicks either and scramble around to get something done. I have 42 coming in a week or so. 30 meat chicks and 12 Australorps. I have a 3 stack brooder, but plan on raising the Cornish cross chicks in tractors that aren't built yet. LOL LOL Maybe the brooder will give me a little time.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s been busy here. We had a farm visit from the Bull King of the Show Cattle World, Matt Lautner. He gave us some breeding pointers and we bought some semen to use based on his recommendations.

Still waiting on calves and goat kids to arrive.

Plans are in the final stages for our surprise announcement. Friday will be the big day on the farm but probably won’t be announced until Sat or Sun on BYH so I can get some good pics for y’all. We’ve had to build a pen and order some supplies. The human kids are very well excited!

Mother Nature decided it wasn’t time for spring yet and dumped several inches of snow on us overnight. Several drifts come up to my knee.

This pic was taken standing on the steps going into the barn.
A89852DF-4492-4352-B0A9-656C67C9A1A7.jpeg

Taken from the driveway. You can see my tracks go all the way around the nearest group as I checked them. I then went to check on Reagan across the driveway since she’s wintering with the bull and took this pic.
94FE935D-B8B4-4C96-9D66-FC5ACC0006E4.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce the kids would LOVE a pony. We are actually supposed to be getting two kid-safe full size horses...DH is dragging his feet. He calls them hayburners. That is not the surprise. The kids keep bugging him about getting Sugar and Handsome here though.

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm late to the party on the Chili talk but I had to add my 2 cents ;)

I can deal with that, as long as the tomatoes are whole, peeled stewed tomatoes and added toward the last 45 minutes of cooking.

All that other stuff I've seen mentioned, as haute cuisine as it may be presented, must be a northern or west coast thing.
My wife spent her teen years in some foreign land called 'the quad cities' and will take a goodly portion of my chili out of the big pot, put it in another pot and add nearly a full BIG can of tomato juice to it. I told her before she just as well just get a couple jars of plain old cheap spaghetti sauce, add some chili powder to it just enough for a slight taste and call that chili. No accounting for taste I suppose.

LOL the Quad Cities aren't a foreign land...giggles or if they are your wife and I have something in common as I was born in the Quads and yep that is how my mother makes chili. Though when I make chili I add beans (3-4 different kinds)beer chili style ground meat(big grind)and all the mentioned spices mentioned here and top it with corn bread sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Then my DH who is from Joplin MO taught me about "Spig Red" which is just the left over chili served over Spig with cut up pickles added.