Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bottle fed a few kitties a few weeks ago. I think I posted about that. Was fun. Miss doing that, but also really didnt have time to do it while at work. Had to make time to stop and feed them and also stimulate them for thier kittie potties.
On another note, in my tuna fish, I just use mayo. My Mom puts in onions and pickles. I didnt like that. I dont like crunchy in my food unless there is a reason for it. I do, however, put potato chips on my balony sandwiches. Or lettuce. Dont mind that crunchy. Onions make me want to hurl when I bite into one without knowing its there. Ewww. But I do l like the flavoring. Yes, Im a contradiction<sp>. When I use onions for flavoring, I use the flakes, because they are so small I cant tell, and they cook up nice and soft so I dont know they are in my food. Or if I use real onions, I cut them so big I can find them and fish them out. :) Yeah, I know......

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quick update...we now have bottle kittens. Started a thread on other animals about them. Lots of cattle breeding going on and updated that thread. Reagan still hasn’t calved. Good grief!!

Longer update coming soon...
Ok will go read about these bottle kittens.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let’s see if I can recall everything to bring y’all up to date.

Thursday, Chester got neutered and picked up on Friday. Here he is Monday morning. Obviously his little procedure didn’t slow him down much.
2C82968E-356F-488C-8FD9-907F3FBDB957.jpeg

Sophie also helped me do chores Monday morning.
7D59F6A3-5B3D-4175-B45B-F631FB9FD8F9.jpeg

Took DD1 and my niece shopping for summer clothes and out to eat at Chil-fil-a Friday when they got out of school. Of course, had to stop at DQ on the way home. The younger two went to a nephew’s school program with my parents and played with their cousins.

I worked all weekend like usual. It was quite crazy. We had several critical patients on Saturday that needed moved to a tertiary hospital and helicopters were grounded due to the weather. A shortage of paramedics also occurred so I ended up riding back and forth to Louisville to monitor and care for patients during transport. It was an interesting but tiring day. Sunday I had a nice patient and a “difficult” patient. (In other words, thinks ICU means the Hilton and being treated like a spoiled celebrity. It wears on you.)

I mentioned at some point that we were supposed to get two horses from my dad’s best friend. DH took too long to get everything ready and he had to sell the one that I really wanted. Trying not to be upset at everyone over this as I was very attached to her and have been since high school. Found out Saturday night. Bringing her here would’ve been a dream come true. Ugh! (I think this has something to do with letting me take the bottle kittens because he felt bad...)

Scarlett and Maxine had their hooves trimmed on Sunday afternoon. Both were bad for different reasons and are tender for now. They are getting around but not well yet. DH also mowed the yard around the hoof trimming visit.

Scarlett laying around today.
EC812F3F-C4ED-4E41-B3C3-C89BD315EE16.jpeg

DH and the kids were fixing fence in our creek pasture when I got home from work on Sunday. I walked out to meet them and took this pic as they headed back. (Back to Front: DS, DH, DD2 is riding in her pink car directly in front of DH, Queenie, DD1. Cowboy and Jewel were out there somewhere too.)
9B1EFE53-A57E-494D-9A79-66E4738128B8.jpeg

May have mentioned somewhere that I fell with DD2 last Monday. My ankle was better until I worked the weekend, now it’s aggravated again.

Needless to say, Monday was laidback. DD2 has physical therapy but they’ll come to the house until she turns 3 in June so we are working on all of the evals, paperwork, and insurance tape to get the next stage set up.

Monday was also when the tiny kittens made their debut on the farm. Have a little more info to update their thread.

Tuesday I worked on the house with a vengeance to get it back in order after the weekend. I actually feel like I’m getting somewhere! My dad came for dinner and to see the kids while my mom worked on some house projects for their reno. DH and I also worked all of the adult Does (except Blossom of course) and all of the bucks born this year. Had to get more wormer to do the bucks so I’ll try to do them tonight but it may have to wait until the beginning of next week as they need to be weighed. I have updated kid weights that I’ll try to share soon too.

I had an appt to do with DD2’s therapy transition today. They reiterated that her cognitive scores are basically bordering on genius. Not bad for a kiddo that we were told would have severe brain damage and would basically be a vegetable. Just have to say that God is good!!!

DH started in on mowing hay here today. It takes 6 hours to mow on our farm. He called with exciting news from the tractor that you’ll find on the calving thread shortly.
3BFB4B89-A73C-480E-A617-37A44BABB475.jpeg

Took a pic of some grass that he’d just cut...
D895A717-932D-496F-B7B1-D4CBF9035DE0.jpeg

My next attempt was photobombed by Queenie! Lol
9691C430-DE57-4FF8-B9D4-0965359A1035.jpeg

I’m stuck in the house with the kiddos because DD2 doesn’t handle heat well with her medical issues and medications and DS vomited from gagging on drainage so he doesn’t need to breathe all of the stirred up pollen.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some other pics that I’ve taken today...

CeCe and her bitty precocious udder. @Southern by choice mentioned that she might get one and I had a chance to actually notice today.
D7F325B1-50B5-418C-9628-9FB2D5AC6F1C.jpeg

We have three of these fans in the barn. The two pictured are facing alternate directions. The furthest is aimed toward Sparkle, CeCe, and the bucks/bucklings to keep the air moving. Jewel is directly in front of the other. Cowboy and Queenie are also positioned strategically to feel the air flow that Blossom can choose to get in front of or avoid.
EF86C1CC-14F5-4A37-A603-C3B276C6E652.jpeg

Dinner. This is a purebred Angus steer from last year. I think he’s the dumbest bovine I’ve ever encountered. Hence the reason that he’s headed for my freezer sometime early fall.
C1AC68DD-C6AA-4DB3-A9B3-C2680E897098.jpeg

Jewel standing in part of the mown hay.
BB724F28-ADEC-4514-8F72-977B31769713.jpeg

Otis
E214A516-695E-4CC9-9ABC-0A3E3B7DD85D.jpeg

Some of the cows gathered behind the barn.
79B11B29-A9E1-4780-9E4B-06229E1E5FC1.jpeg

Calves in the creep feeder.
05997A50-D05D-4204-87C3-2DFE08E883A2.jpeg

Ember
7A58D40D-5303-456A-ADC6-EC3291649E34.jpeg

DH will take pigs to the butcher before work in the morning then rake hay, bale, and wrap it after work. The two day process for haylage makes it easier to get a cutting in between rains and the grass can be wetter. It’s nice to be on our second cutting when everyone else local is just getting in their first cutting.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So happy to hear about DD2's status/progress. Cows look good, like a good cow should ;) Thanks for all the pics. That hay looks great and the grass down by the creek looks awesome as well. Sorry you lost out on the horse. I would have thought the person would have called and given a "get it by" date before just selling it out from under y'all. Hate to say it but bottle kittens seem like a pretty sorry replacement for a horse... Just my take. Hope maybe you'll find another horse that you can fall in love with. Maybe a younger one that you can love for much longer. The one you missed out on had to be getting kinda old. Not that I have anything against getting old mind you... I'm getting there myself! :confused:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had an appt to do with DD2’s therapy transition today. They reiterated that her cognitive scores are basically bordering on genius. Not bad for a kiddo that we were told would have severe brain damage and would basically be a vegetable.
:):love

Please post a link to the kitten thread, I've not run across it I don't think. I don't often check "New Posts", I can barely keep up with the ones I'm following.