Weighing and Deworming Questions

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My family just acquired a semi-range calf who has a pretty impressive case of lice and I would like to worm his as well as deal with the lice. I have some Durvet Ivermectin Pour-On on hand but wanted to know if that was a good choice of wormer or if I should consider an injectable or perhaps a different drug altogether. I would do the follow up with a lice dust if needed. He's 3-4 months old and smaller/skinnier than I think he should be.

My other question is that I would like to know his weight but don't have a large enough scale. How accurate is the heartgirthXheartgirthXpin-bone-to-shoulder divided by 300 method? He measured out to about 135lbs with this method.

Also we have a highland/angus heifer and were wondering if we use pour-on on her would her hair hinder drug absorption? Using the above method she measured out to about 606lbs and she's 12 months old and in good condition. I'm not good at eyeballing weight so I thought I'd ask. I'm more of a goat person myself but my family has kept cattle before.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The pour-on would work fine with the smaller calf. You might up the dose a bit to be sure to get the worms. The Highland cross could also use the pour-on, but get it down below the hair. You could "part her hair, and squirt the Ivomec on the bare skin. Good luck!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
My other question is that I would like to know his weight but don't have a large enough scale. How accurate is the heartgirthXheartgirthXpin-bone-to-shoulder divided by 300 method? He measured out to about 135lbs with this method.

Also we have a highland/angus heifer and were wondering if we use pour-on on her would her hair hinder drug absorption? Using the above method she measured out to about 606lbs and she's 12 months old and in good condition. I'm not good at eyeballing weight so I thought I'd ask. I'm more of a goat person myself but my family has kept cattle before.
Spend $5 on one of these. Better, easier and more accurate than above method. They have them for both dairy and beef breeds.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/beef-weigh-tape?sku=C7W2&gclid=CMadhonlotMCFRm2wAodm5wJzg

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/dairy-cow-weigh-tape

"
Beef Stock Weigh Tape by Coburn
Accurately estimates the weights of feeder and beef breeding cattle. Min. weight 96 lbs, max. weight 1618 lbs.

Use weigh tape to compare weight with averages, compute feed averages, calculate drug dosages, determine times for market, breeding, etc.

Made of rip-stop Tyvek. 108" long, doubled & sewn with aluminum ends.

Place tape around animal at the heart girth just behind the front legs. Take up the slack but do not tighten excessively. Read weight estimation on the scale.
Complete instructions printed on tape."

Latest posts