Weight gain after deworming

FarmerMack

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 6 yr old mare that had a really bad case of worms when i purchased her. After deworming she has lost most of the bloating she had...and I have been trying to get some weight back on her. Since grass is sparse at best I have added alfalfa to here diet hoping to put some muscle on her..this is addition to about 64 oz of 12% a day.
I don't want to rush the weight gain as she hadn't been wormed in possibly 2 or more years. I dont want to over feed her and make her ill but i need her to put back on the weight she should have for a 6 yr. 15 1/2 hand Thorough bred mare. She is a very picky eater, apple,carrots, not her choice of treat..

~Horses can see and feel the pain in your heart, and always know how to cure it. Looking at you lovingly with their warm eyes, comforting. This bond is forever.~

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FarmerMack said:
I have a 6 yr old mare that had a really bad case of worms when i purchased her. After deworming she has lost most of the bloating she had...and I have been trying to get some weight back on her. Since grass is sparse at best I have added alfalfa to here diet hoping to put some muscle on her..this is addition to about 64 oz of 12% a day.
I don't want to rush the weight gain as she hadn't been wormed in possibly 2 or more years. I dont want to over feed her and make her ill but i need her to put back on the weight she should have for a 6 yr. 15 1/2 hand Thorough bred mare. She is a very picky eater, apple,carrots, not her choice of treat..
It's impossibly to accurately give you a weight for your horse. She should look healthy with a weight that fits her frame. I would recommend talking to your vet about it during spring shots to get a solid professional opinion about her weight and learn what to look for when she is at an ideal weight.

In the mean time, if you think she needs more weight, feed grass hay. I wouldn't increase the grain or alfalfa if she isn't getting worked. Just add an extra flake of grass hay.

If you post pictures, we can comment on how her conditioning looks.