Weight gain for a Zebu cow with calf.

foot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Zebu cow Is about to calf......So In your opinion what should I feed her and this calf to keep her weight on ???

foot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Grass and hay.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
You giving her salt/mineral too? What body condition is she in, like does she look thin or fat or normal? I.e., are her ribs sticking out or do you have to apply pressure to feel them?

foot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Right now she looks pretty normal except of course the big baby bump on the right side. Today she looked a little hippy and we could see a couple ribs (at least this morning) by afternoon she looked good. She has about 4 weeks to go before she calves. And yes she has salt/minerals available.
...foot

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I'd keep feeding her what you're already feeding her, it sounds like she's in excellent condition as it is right now. When she starts lactating (after calving), then you might want to introduce a little grain or a protein tub/block or something with a little more calcium to help keep her in condition and with milk production. Otherwise, she's just fine with what you're giving her now. :)

foot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you WBR...What do you suggest as to the grain ???

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Depends on what's available in your area. Cracked corn, rolled oats or any kind of grain that has been processed for easier digestion is fine.

foot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
..Ok..... Thank you WRB