Weight/muscle gain

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a yearling ewe that I am trying to get more weight on, I find her a bit on the "thin" side. What is your favorite way to get lots of weight and muscle on your sheep. We walk them up and down a steep hill to help build muscle, they have unlimited pasture full of clover and alfalfa/Timothy they also get grain ( a show lamb grower) and two supplements that help with muscle growth, energy ect plus hay in their stall should they want that instead.My ram looks great and is eating the same stuff... my ewe I feel just need something more and I'm out of ideas. Has anyone tried that purina heavyweight supplement? Does it work? Any suggestions?
She has been wormed and is very healthy so I'm not concerned about that side of things. I just feel like she is not putting on the weight and muscle as fast as she should be?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Genetics. I have some ewes on the smallish side. As I improve my flock, I will be taking a hard look at them.

If she is a year old, she may grow a little more.
Thanks,
Yeah she is a pretty tall and slender Ewe naturally I think. Im not sure what her Dam looked like, I know her sire was a pretty big boy.
Maybe she is just a late bloomer? lol

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is a little dirty from all the rain, but she is slowly putting weight on, I think she needs more muscle though... :/

20190707_160606.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started with Dorper and Katahdin cross bred ewes. They aren’t top of the line Sheep. I call them my learning Sheep. I’ve had Sheep 4 years, I’m no expert by any means, but I feel comfortable in upgrading my flock. We recently went all the way to Tennessee to buy Ringo from @Mike CHS and his wife, Teresa. When I sell lambs this year, I will apply that money to as many registered ewes as it will buy. 1 or 2?

Your ewe is a nice looking ewe and will give you many lambs over the years. It is a start. We learn as we go, she is your teacher.

My original 4 ewes? One we had to put down because of a ruptured prepubic tendon, THAT was a tear gusher. Naturally she was my favorite. The other 3 are still with me and always will be. They are my Teachers and have earned their place.

You are learning. With the help of the wonderful people here, your Teacher sheep, and the Grace of God, you are a Shepherd of His gentle creatures.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of registered hair sheep that do not look as good as her. We have quite a few sheep in the 140-170 pound range but the majority are in the 100-120 pound range (which I prefer). To me she is in great condition and I would have no problem with her as a breeder.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of registered hair sheep that do not look as good as her. We have quite a few sheep in the 140-170 pound range but the majority are in the 100-120 pound range (which I prefer). To me she is in great condition and I would have no problem with her as a breeder.
Thanks so much! I just feel like she is not as "solid" as some of the other ewes I have seen of her age...but I think that just stems from her needing more work on muscle building. We have started a lot of hill work with her. She is my sons Show sheep so we are trying to help her get in the best condition she can be for him :)

Thanks everyone for your help. I just love this forum I learn so much on here :)

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I started with Dorper and Katahdin cross bred ewes. They aren’t top of the line Sheep. I call them my learning Sheep. I’ve had Sheep 4 years, I’m no expert by any means, but I feel comfortable in upgrading my flock. We recently went all the way to Tennessee to buy Ringo from @Mike CHS and his wife, Teresa. When I sell lambs this year, I will apply that money to as many registered ewes as it will buy. 1 or 2?

Your ewe is a nice looking ewe and will give you many lambs over the years. It is a start. We learn as we go, she is your teacher.

My original 4 ewes? One we had to put down because of a ruptured prepubic tendon, THAT was a tear gusher. Naturally she was my favorite. The other 3 are still with me and always will be. They are my Teachers and have earned their place.

You are learning. With the help of the wonderful people here, your Teacher sheep, and the Grace of God, you are a Shepherd of His gentle creatures.
Thank you :love