Weight tapes for cows

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm posting for the dairy breed tape covering Holstein, Guernsey, and Jersey. If someone has one for beef could you please post the info for it?

We have had at least one member that has had trouble getting a hold of the tape so I will do my best to give you the info on it and maybe you can use a fabric tape. It would be best if you can get your hands on a weight tape to do so as I'm only giving bunch marks and they have weights in between.

Keep in mind that these are average weights for heifers and are a rough figure.
Holstein & Brown Swiss- 3 months--215 pounds(40 inches), 6 months--395 pounds(50 inches), Lightest breeding weight--840 pounds(66 inches), Average calving--1195 pounds(76 inches)

Guernesy & Ayrshires-3 months--177 pounds(38 inches), 6 months--336 pounds (47 inches), Lightest breeding weight--607 pounds (59 inches), Average calving--950 pounds (70 inches)

Jersey-3 months--138 pounds (35 inches), 6 months--280 pounds (44 inches), Lightest breeding weight--529 pounds (57 inches), Average calving--726 pounds (63 inches)

Directions for use:
When you take measurements, the cow should stand square with the head upright. If she moves about, take several measurements and average them for best results. Place the tape around the cow at the smallest heart hirth just back of the front legs. Pull it tight enough to lay the hair flat and read the weight in the correct scale.
5_weight_tape_body_shot.jpg

Closeup.
5_weight_tape_closeup.jpg

5_est_of_cows_weight_chart.jpg

5_growth_table.jpg

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
kitty thats some good info for new people.i like to use my eye when guessing cattles weight.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
kitty thats some good info for new people.i like to use my eye when guessing cattles weight.
That comes with practice. I had to really dig to find our weight tape. :rolleyes:

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive been guessing weights for almost 40yrs.an ive got so good i rarely miss weights by 50lbs up or down.i know what you men.you prolly havent used a weigh tape in years.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks very much FarmerKitty. I am going to have to find my sewing tape tomorrow and go see how big around he is now...lol

I saw the other 2 calves that my sister purchased at the same time as BarBQ and they are tiny compared to him. My DH whispered to me that he thinks that they are starving...lol

I have been giving him approx. 2 gal. of calf starter (16% I think), hay and grass. I am working on getting the new fences up, so that he can get more grass, because he doesn't get much right now.

Ok, now tell me if I am over feeding or under feeding. I don't believe that he is under fed at all. He has really grown...lol

I will post my measurements tomorrow, but he is only about 9 wks, so not quite 3 mon. yet.

Dorothy

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My recommendation for grain would be 5-6 pounds but, that depends on the type of meat you want too. I have a SIL that raises corn feed beef and those animals get all the grain they can eat with a little hay for roughage. Some prefer grass fed only. Grain weight varies so you would have to weigh your grain to see where you are at. As long as he is growing good then it's up to you as to how much. If you think he's getting to much try cutting back a little and see how he grows.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
he is eating good.id leave him at 2 gallons of feed a day for awhile.because you want him to grow fast an big.less days on feed means less feed.when i put bulls or heifers in the pen.i feed them 12 to 15lbs of feed ea a day.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't have the new pics. yet, but I tried to measure BarBQ by myself and what I came up with was that he is approx. 39" - 40" tall and around his approx. 41" around the smallest chest area. (According to FarmerKitty's directions and pics.)

I will have to get DH to help me and see if we can get him to be still long enough to get a better measurement.

Something else, we banded him last Thursday and I tried to see it this morning and from what I can tell, his band is no longer there. I will have to get my DH to help me check that area out as well...lol

I will post pics. as soon as possible, been crazy around here. By the measurements, if anyone wants to give a guess on his weight, then it will be welcomed.

Thanks,
Dorothy