weight vs cost analysis

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just finished completing an experiment on the weight vs cost for finishing off the rabbits. We had 2 litters born on the same day.
Litter 1 - New Zealand doe, American Chinchilla buck. 10 born, 8 survived.
Litter 2 - 92% American Chinchilla doe, New Zealand mix buck. 8 born, 8 survived (first litter for the doe).

There was not significant difference in weight between the 2 litters at harvest. Both litters were fed the same amount of feed and hay. Both litters were weaned at 7 weeks.

At 11.5 weeks, both litters were averaging 5lbs live weight. At that point, I harvested 4 from each litter. The average packaged weight was 2.5lbs (50% conversion). We then waited 19 days and harvested the remaining 4 from each litter. At 14 weeks, the average packaged weight was 3.25 lbs. During the additional 19 days, the 8 rabbits consumed 2 bags of feed (100 lbs).

The feed is $15/50lbs. We sell the meat for $5.75/lb. Therefore, it cost us $30 to raise the rabbits 19 more days and we gained $34.50 in meat value. So, $4.50 profit to raise them 2.5 more weeks.

The 14 week old rabbits were harder to skin. Based on the lack of additional profit, I don't see a reason to raise them past 5lbs live weight. Additionally, at 14 weeks, the bucks were starting to try and breed their sisters in the litter.

Prairiechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Once again, thank you for sharing your information. It sure is helpful to those of us who haven't gotten into the meaties for very long yet. I know I am going to have way more than my family will eat this year and I wanted to know at what age it is best to process and sell off my extras. Of course, I will sell them live and then butcher them if that is what the buyer wants ;)