Weird ducks...

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So my ducks are weird.

I went through the trouble the last 2 weeks of building them a nice hut so they can get out of the cold.

AND>...they don't use it lol. Its got an open front so they can go in there when its cold and windy.

Well today is cold and windy. They won't go in it. They don't go in it on other days either when I finished it a week ago. And its been cold all week, not just today though today was much worse. Its just kind of funny that they don't go in and just stand out there in the cold instead being ducks. the other partition that also has this and its own shelter also don't use theirs either.

I just thought to comment on it and compare with others.

On a side note, when I got out to feed them at 7 AM, right when I finished I heard goose honking all the sudden. I look up and a huge flock of like 30 or 40 geese was flying south. And then a half hour later it starts snowing like crazy. (They sure have good instincts! Really! Its interesting that they could tell it was time to go.) (I don't have geese personally but they are interesting.)

Also a bit curious if chickens stay out all the time even when cold and snowy also like ducks?

Today was the first real cold of the year.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just ducks do that. They will probably go in and stop bathing around 10 degrees fahrenheit. Most of the chickens I've had are weenies. They tend to try to vanish at the first snow fall.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So my ducks are weird.

I went through the trouble the last 2 weeks of building them a nice hut so they can get out of the cold.

AND>...they don't use it lol. Its got an open front so they can go in there when its cold and windy.

Well today is cold and windy. They won't go in it. They don't go in it on other days either when I finished it a week ago. And its been cold all week, not just today though today was much worse. Its just kind of funny that they don't go in and just stand out there in the cold instead being ducks. the other partition that also has this and its own shelter also don't use theirs either.

I just thought to comment on it and compare with others.

On a side note, when I got out to feed them at 7 AM, right when I finished I heard goose honking all the sudden. I look up and a huge flock of like 30 or 40 geese was flying south. And then a half hour later it starts snowing like crazy. (They sure have good instincts! Really! Its interesting that they could tell it was time to go.) (I don't have geese personally but they are interesting.)

Also a bit curious if chickens stay out all the time even when cold and snowy also like ducks?

Today was the first real cold of the year.

My chickens stay out in it and always have. Ducks have all that wonderful down and do well in the cold, so even when we think they should be seeking shelter, they often don't. Mine used the shelter I provided but mostly just for laying and sometimes lounging but still enjoyed the cold most of the day.

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the breed. My mallard decendant breeds love to go to their house every night, though since we have a seasonal Creek they are swimming in it even at minus 10. My muskovys have a separate house and about 80 percent of them go in at night but some don't . And since all my birds free range I only feed them when I lock them up at night. So I have around 10 muskovy ducks that are basically wild, forage for themselves and sleep wherever. I think the girls sleep on the roof of our house 😅

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the breed. My mallard decendant breeds love to go to their house every night, though since we have a seasonal Creek they are swimming in it even at minus 10. My muskovys have a separate house and about 80 percent of them go in at night but some don't . And since all my birds free range I only feed them when I lock them up at night. So I have around 10 muskovy ducks that are basically wild, forage for themselves and sleep wherever. I think the girls sleep on the roof of our house 😅

That's interesting.

I had worried if that could be a problem with muscovies. But I do like them and how quiet they are.

Isn't it also true that they are more individual in roaming and less pack oriented like other ducks?

I hear muscovies are good moms usually.

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, they are more independent then other ducks. Excellent mother's. Last fall we had 4 hens and 2 drakes. The hens started making nests late spring and from those 4 hens we had 60 more muskovys. They just went off in seclusion and did it all themselves.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, they are more independent then other ducks. Excellent mother's. Last fall we had 4 hens and 2 drakes. The hens started making nests late spring and from those 4 hens we had 60 more muskovys. They just went off in seclusion and did it all themselves.

Wow. That is amazing!~

Maybe I'm farming the wrong ducks then.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Muscovies will roost in trees or on ridgetops which other waterfowl will not do. In snow and deep cold, webbed feet can freeze more easily than chicken feet so you need to be aware if your ducks are always outside in snow without access to swimming in an unfrozen creek or pond.