Weird Rash on Goat's Leg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
8,301
Reaction score
29,891
Points
708
Location
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
There is a form of Ivermectin for sheep and goats... it is a liquid that you give... with a dosing gun, often for multiple animals.. but can use a needleless syringe down the throat...Most any ivermectin will work but there is one for oral use, I've seen it on the shelf.
Go to something like mineral deficient soils with your state listed... sometimes you can find a reference... also go to UT as they have a vet school and you might find info. The extension office for your state may have some listings... call the local extension agent for your area and see if they have anything. Many of their pamphlets are online for the different things they print.
 

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
21
Reaction score
6
Points
36
Location
East Tennessee
IMG_20220227_175658000.jpg


Would this work?
 

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2015
Messages
6,723
Reaction score
19,237
Points
598
Location
S coastal VA
You can use the tubed, for horses, also. Estimate weight. I use dble that on the tube stopper. Ivermectin has a high forgiveness level. Careful to not leave around if to have dogs, some are not able to take...mainly herding types.

Yes, full strength on Listerine. Hope it all helps.
 

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
21
Reaction score
6
Points
36
Location
East Tennessee
Okay, wanted to do an update.

Finally was able to get Listerine and also picked up a milking stand (such a game changer!!). I have used it 3 days so far and her back legs are already looking less irritated. Still a little ways to go, but she is definitely doing better.

Regarding the Ivermectin, is there a certain number of days to give it before taking a break? I've been giving it to her since 2/28. I don't want to overdo it, so the parasites don't get immune to it, but I also don't want to stop too soon.

We have had some nice days this last week, so she has been feeling very spunky. So glad to see her feeling better.
 

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2015
Messages
6,723
Reaction score
19,237
Points
598
Location
S coastal VA
The ivermectin isn't to give every day. Usually you dose and only redose at 10-14 days if a heavy parasite load. Otherwise, every 3months, normally works. Now, if free of parasites and rotated pastures, you could go 6 months.😊

So if she's been getting dewormer every day, stop that part. Yes, she will be ok...that's your next question. But you've probably eliminated some good bacteria in her gut. Have any yogurt? Add some to her feed ration, it will help reestablish gut Flora. Otherwise it will just take a little longer for her to have that happen.

Glad she's doing better!! Good job.👍
 
Last edited:

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
21
Reaction score
6
Points
36
Location
East Tennessee
Oops! I sure hope the parasites aren't immune to the Ivermectin. I stopped the wormer and I'll see if I have yogurt to give her. How long will I need to add it?

I thought I would put a picture of my mamma goat on here😁
I was told she was a kiko, but I am not so sure. Her babies definitely have kiko in them (I saw the father and he is FOR SURE one).
I suspicious she might have Nubian in her.
She's a sweetheart 80% of the time and can be a stinker the other 20%
IMG_20220310_175041543.jpg
 

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Joined
Jan 29, 2018
Messages
2,822
Reaction score
6,789
Points
373
Location
Texas
you can also get a probotic paste from tractor supply and most feed stores for goats.
 

JonesLaneHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
21
Reaction score
6
Points
36
Location
East Tennessee
I totally forgot to do an update picture. This was from the beginning of April. It is doing even better now. I'll have to get a more updated one.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220404_183702181.jpg
    IMG_20220404_183702181.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220404_183656960.jpg
    IMG_20220404_183656960.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220404_183648311.jpg
    IMG_20220404_183648311.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 35
Top