Weird, :( rip mocha

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Last tuesday I ran out of food,(I fell down metal stairs that morning and broke my toe also). So thursday morning I went and got them food,NOTE: the WHOLE time they was out of food they still got out in the pens with grass and loaded down with hay in their cages. Then about 2 days ago I noticed my little buck mocha seemed skinny and the next day he wasnt moving much and seemed lifeless. He had a whole bowl of food from the night before still left.

So I put him in with the doe to keep him warm as it got down to 20 last night,not breeding age. I gave them more hay,feed water and some celery/cabbage like always. He still didnt eat.

Then this morning I went out and he had passed away. I knew when he wasnt moving much that he probley wouldnt make it,we dont have a vet that cares for animals like that so I couldnt do anything. I burried him and when I did I noticed his teeth,they were out,large looking. They have hay all the time,and wooden chews. He was UNDER 6 months old,and when I picked him out the breeder checked his teeth and not the doe's?

What could have happened?! I feel bad,and for the doe too. I dont know if I should buy another buck or just not even try.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It sounds like maybe he got too cold? Rabbits are pretty sensitive to heat and cold? Or maybe not enough food? I've heard rabbits need food all the time in their tummies/ intestines. Then again, rabbits are pretty delicate creatures overall. Sometimes, for no reason, they just die. Not too often but it does happen. Don't get discouraged!

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. Any other symtoms other than weight loss, such as any discharge from eyes or nose? Any sign of diarhea? When you were holding him, did his chest feel clear or was there any sign of congestion? My main concern right now is your doe and before you should think about replacing him we need to be sure she is OK. There are alot of things it could have been. Hopefully we can figure it out. If it were me, I would take a fecal sample to the vet to check for coccidia, preferably on both rabbits. His too because it may tell you why he died. ( pick up freshest poop you can from under his and her cage ) If he had coccidia then she probably does too and can be treated. I'm sorry you had such a rotten day! I hope your toe feels better quick and your little doe is fine.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It was only a day 1/2 to 2 days without pellets,they still got their hay/veggies . The doe is fine,fat and healthy,he never did "grow" really and was always thin. My local vet dosent treat rabbits so I couldnt take in a sample. They were in a solid bottom cage filled with hay,so I dont know when he last went to the bathroom. They or she now,are in an insulated building,so I dont think it was the cold.

Im thinking it was overgrown teeth but at 6 months of age? Plus him never growing,could that all be linked to something? Also,he was very thirsty this week,I had to refill his water 3 times a day,:hit

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He sounded clear,no discharge and no diarrhea that I know of.

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It sounds alot like it could be coccidia with his being thin and not growing well but were his teeth in line or were the bottom teeth in front of the upper ones? You said they looked big. What do you mean big?

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sure your vet could do a fecal, even if he doesn't see rabbits. Worms are worms, I'm pretty sure.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is disgustingly common for short-faced breeds like lops and dwarfs to have teeth that don't line up properly. Rabbits' teeth grow very fast; teeth that don't wear on each other need to be clipped about once per month. If this guy did have a problem with tooth alignment, he would have been a poor choice as a breeding animal, since his offspring would be likely to have the problem as well.

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Bunnylady, I leaned that the hard way in the '80s when I had 31 fr. lops from 3 different lines from Georgia, Virginia and Tennessee. I could not escape malocclusion! To heartbreaking to go though a litter at 8-10 wks old and cull such beautiful bunnies. I sold them all. I still miss them, they were so sweet! I have one now for a pet. He's sweet too and gives me lots of good memories :)

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oops, Bluemini, I'm sorry, I got side tracked talking about my fr. lops and forgot to ask how is your little doe today?

Latest posts