Well, we've done it!

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So we now have a LGD (pup) he is 19 weeks old. I have read every forum on here, especially @Southern by choice's articles. He is a "Watcher" from what I can tell. He acts as if I am not there but is very conscious of my wife and daughters and stays close to them and the goats. The goats are wary of him but I have gotten that calmed down. I feed them directly next to each other. The goats can't resist their feed so they have to be close to him. He is a Great Pyr, but he is off color. (Our family think he is the handsomest guy out there!) Now here come the questions. First off, he understands, "Uh uh", and will not jump and is very considerate, but he does not know his name, nor will he come if called, he's super laid back. Any advice other than normal for teaching a dog to come?

He will not take food from your hand, which I am happy about, (my daughter's wanted to feed him), he has no food aggression at all!! And on that note, I have three daughters, everything is a pet. I keep reading stuff that says not to love them, that they are to bond with the goats and sheep, but I want to be able to mess with him and check him regularly. To my mind that will be easier if he wants to see people. If he becomes a "daughter guarder" I am not opposed to that either, since are oldest is 13!! :thIs there anything wrong with him being attached to both goats and children?

Are there any tips that any one would offer me at this time? He is with our goats only but they usually run with the sheep, will it be a big adjustment for him to be with the sheep also when the goats are on pasture? will he simply ignore them? or will be also guard them too?

I plan on keeping this thread going with anything, and everything that is going on, so if you watch this be prepared to be bombarded with questions as we go!

Here is Winston!

upload_2015-3-7_8-35-42.png

upload_2015-3-7_8-37-9.png

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: "off color Pyr" NOT! :lol:
He is although a beautiful gorgeous Pyr cross! The brindle is a dead give away. Pyr's do not carry a brindle gene. ;)

I keep reading stuff that says not to love them, that they are to bond with the goats and sheep, but I want to be able to mess with him and check him regularly.

LOVE your dog! We are a family of 11. All our dogs are loved on and we teach and promote it. The key really is to allow the dogs to be full time with the livestock so they know and understand where their place is. Routine is important. We promote taking the dog out of the field and acclimating to other environments like a visit to the house for 15-20 minutes or so. Yet PLEASE do not do this willy nilly. For young dogs we use their energy time for this and or alo taking them out for some obedience. Not regular obedience but simple learning how to walk on leash, sit, stay (subjective) The goal isn't to have an "obedience dog" you are trying to get a CD or a CDX on but a controllable dog that you are building trust with.

When you all go out the the goats and sheep just keep in mind the dog will need to see that the livestock comes first. Make sure the children and you too ;) don't spend all your time fussing over him.

Expect your dog to succeed! Trust your dog! I think many new LGD owners come into it with an attitude of complete negativity expecting the dog to chase, expecting the dog to do bad things... I have seen this over and over... I really believe these dogs pick up on the neurosis of the human! :\ :somad

Correct quickly and no need to do it harshly. Use correct consistent words. Jumping up say "down" heading toward something or chasing a chicken etc say Uh uh... or something. Do not use the word "No" for everything. Standing at gate and possibly trying to bolt or just getting in the way... "back or back up".

The majority of LGD's even pups do not start out chasing livestock. I would however recommend a 30 ft training lead for working the dog for any areas that may creep up so there is exact correlation.

I am NOT a believer in taking LGD's for walks. I don't even like it when people "walk" them on lead around the inside perimeter fencing. Doing about 2 weeks of basic obedience 15 minutes a day or walk on lead, sit, down with a short stay is all you really will ever need. Obedience should be done outside of livestock fence if possible. Controlled, same time of day.

He will learn his name as you continue to use it and do a few days of obedience.

Because you just got him do not start this yet. He needs to first acclimate to his field and environment and that needs to become his Home.

Bonding schmonding... dogs are smart and have the ability to bond with more than one thing and the term bonding is overused. Some bonds bond to territory, some the actual animals.
With our LGD's some are territory and some are specific to livestock. The versatlity of "Amy" (F PYR) is great she can go anywhere with any group at anytime. She is not bondy with any particular livestock which is good for me as she will be with the dairy does but if I need her far away and in with bucks she goes and guards there. Callie can go anywhere (F Anatolian) but she is really all about her Kikos. She doesn't care which field or where as long as it is her Kikos and she doesn't like any other dogs in with them except D(M pyr) and Tiggs(M Anatolian) Badger is a small goat" lover he likes the dairy does and loves their babies. He also is one to be such a creature of habit he never gets moved from his field. These are different LGD's so I have given a few examples.

Just don't bring confusion. Right now him properly adjusting and "bonding" with his charges/territory is important.

Congrats!:celebrate

So why do you think he is a watcher?:)

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think he is a watcher form reading a lot of your posts about the evaluations. He lies alert watching the goats. If he thinks that there is something going on, such as a loud sound or unusual happening. he first checks the goats and then focuses in on the what ever the disturbance is. He will stand up, and give a few sharp barks, investigate, and then back to his post. We had this happen yesterday. A coffee can fell and made a banging, his ears perked but he moved his head to the goats. He stood up and saw that they were there and didn't seem to be in distress, moved over to the coffee can saw it was nothing and went back. I haven't seen him patrol at all, other than when he wants to go poop! He has to find the perfect spot.;)

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The goal isn't to have an "obedience dog" you are trying to get a CD or a CDX on but a controllable dog that you are building trust with. @Southern by choice what do you mean by CD or CDX?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are titles a dog can earn in the show ring, I believe they mean the following:

CD = companion dog

CDX = companion dog excellent

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
what do you mean by CD or CDX?

These are AKC titles given to dogs that attain a certain level of obedience.
Basically they are certificates awarded by accomplishing certain requirements. It is based on a point system ... blah blah blah (LOL)

CD = Companion Dog
CDX= after a CD has been earned the dog may advance to a higher level and earn a Companion Dog Excellent from there they may advance to a
UD= Utility Dog

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
so we are having a grea time with Winston!! Of course he is in love with our youngest and I don't know if it is the best thing to have a 3 yo train a dog!!!:th but he listens to her best and she is very good at taking directions!! He really is a great dog and is learning very quickly. we taking him for a walk everyday around our property, not on a leash, and he respond very well to commands. Thanks so much for reminding me not to use the same command for "no" we haven't used it for him at all which well when you are telling little girls "No!"

here he is with his "trainer"
IMG_1115.JPG