Wened 8 week old kids, milk production drop?

Sage and Stone Homestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, my ND 4th freshener is 9 weeks post freshening and I weaned her kids last week. We had been milk-sharing up until now. Previously I had gotten 500ml after she was separated from the kids 12 hours and that was great to me, I figured I would get 1000ml a day once the kids weaned and I milked twice a day. Well, that happened once and the supply has decreased ever since and I'm getting 350ml now after a 12 hour maximum hold. Any insight? I thought supply would keep up a few months.

We did copper about a month ago and she eats a 16% protein feed on the stand with alfalfa pellets, grass hay and forage when not on the stand. Free choice manna pro minerals. Thanks.

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If she’s healthy and nothing seems wrong with her it, two things come to mind.
1) She’s not letting her milk down because she’s stressed without her kids.
2) What lines is she from? We have one that peaks high, and then drops very fast and only gives a small amount for the rest of the lactation.

Sage and Stone Homestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If she’s healthy and nothing seems wrong with her it, two things come to mind.
1) She’s not letting her milk down because she’s stressed without her kids.
2) What lines is she from? We have one that peaks high, and then drops very fast and only gives a small amount for the rest of the lactation.

Okay I'll elaborate and clarify a little bit. She wears an udder support during the day to wean the kids, she is still with them, they aren't sold. We are keeping them. I tried teat tape and they got it off after day 2, so we went with the udder support and it works! I figure this is the least stressful way to do it in our situation.

As far as her lines... I have her papers but i am not sure what I'm looking at. I see in the pedigree:

Belle star farm white falcon,
Beaujest DP Ara
Dragonfly Jack Sparrow
Kizzi's Kuties Alexis
Beaujest RK Dom Perignon *S
MCH Lost Valley KW Cassiopeia 4*D

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm. Ok. I really have no idea. The line we have that does that is Woodbridge farm. Because it’s a big show line.
Mind sharing a pic of the udder support? Really good idea!

Sage and Stone Homestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have to tie up the loose straps but it is effective and she jumps around just fine! I got it at caprine supply.

Attachments

• 20200515_144157.jpg
    20200515_144157.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 92

Latest posts