We're new to donkeying

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just what @Baymule said, they get fat easy so watch their intake.

Your a good dad! If I brought two donkeys home to my dad I would never hear the end of it haha!

It is true about their feet. Our neighbours donkey gets seen by the farrier just as often as our horse does, about every 6 weeks. Their feet health is important. The neighbours donkey is full size and he is given one leaf of hay a day along with a tiny scoop of grain, he is very round around though I should add.

He is also 40 years old! They live a really long time!

What are your plans with the foal?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
2X Baymule.....they do well/better on less rich feed and are so very smart. GREAT memory....they are not stubborn but are very cautious, so may seem slow to accept new things. However, once they do perform the task, it's not forgotten! VERY friendly if you just intro yourself slowly and calmly. In fact, can be a nuisance, in a good way LOL. My herd was very friendly, healthy & long lived. Mine were all minis & several were trained to harness. They are very strong animals.

Those foals look like they are "all ears & legs" when born. And they all have a cute set of bangs....soon it sheds off. Handle the foal ASAP when born, you'll always have a buddy.

If you have dogs, be watchful for their safety until you see the donkeys action. While some donkeys have been around them and tolerate, others will certainly attack as they would a fox, etc. Some donks are protective, others not so much...except their young, as most animals will be.

Enjoy!!! They are super friends.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to add, mini-donks are not pasture guards. They should not be used as guardian animals, because of their small size. Dogs can injure or kill them.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to add, mini-donks are not pasture guards. They should not be used as guardian animals, because of their small size. Dogs can injure or kill them.
That is why we are getting standards. Also because I want to train them to pull a cart ride pack etc.

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! All this information is much appreciated! I am so glad we found this wonderful place. Our female I have named Jenny Has just got pregnant. She needs to be brushed out but she will not let us and her hooves are horrible but I have a good friend that is a farrier. They will be his first donkeys. They appear to be a little underweight but we're on top of that. The people we got them from didn't know too much about them (It sounded like they thought they found a good deal on a lot of mini donks but bit off more than they could chew!) Their demeanor to me shows they have been through many "homes" and mistreated and neglected. But now they have found their final home with our great family!

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The first picture is Jenny. The one with the kids is Sam but I like to call him Forest.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww.... great pics. They will make wonderful pets, they are so smart! Look on that website I gave you for recommended wormers. There is a kind you aren't supposed to give to donkeys, but I can't remember which one. I do remember that ivermectrin is safe for them.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Looking at the spine area on Forest (what's visible) he does look a little underweight/thin. Jenny on the other hand looks about fine (maybe just a bit over fed) Part of it may be their large differences in age... Didn't you say Forest was much older? You sound like you'll take real good care of them and they sound like they deserve it! Great to have you with us, and thanks for sharing the pics.

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just what @Baymule said, they get fat easy so watch their intake.

Your a good dad! If I brought two donkeys home to my dad I would never hear the end of it haha!

It is true about their feet. Our neighbours donkey gets seen by the farrier just as often as our horse does, about every 6 weeks. Their feet health is important. The neighbours donkey is full size and he is given one leaf of hay a day along with a tiny scoop of grain, he is very round around though I should add.

He is also 40 years old! They live a really long time!

What are your plans with the foal?
Weren't not sure yet!

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Looking at the spine area on Forest (what's visible) he does look a little underweight/thin. Jenny on the other hand looks about fine (maybe just a bit over fed) Part of it may be their large differences in age... Didn't you say Forest was much older? You sound like you'll take real good care of them and they sound like they deserve it! Great to have you with us, and thanks for sharing the pics.
She's around 5 he's 12 or 13. My grandfather is a retired vet he's going to look at them when he gets a chance. It may take him awhile after all he's 83 owned his own vet clinic and ran and still runs cattle.