We're new to donkeying

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've always worked with cattle but my kids got me two donkeys for Father's Day. I know little to nothing about donkeys. To top it off we thought they were standard but turns out they are minis! The male is 12 years old the female is 5 years old and is pregnant. She won't let us touch her but he comes up to us. They are free grazing now on good cattle grass. Do I need to feed them anything special like sweet feed, if so what kind? I'm as lost as an elephant in Alaska!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:lol:... picturing an elephant in (the wildernerss of) Alaska (Didn't they call them mammoths or something?) First, welcome to BYH & happy fathers Day! Glad you joined us. There isn't a "large" group of donkey owners here, but there are a few with experience. I'll tag a couple of folks who might have some answers/advice for you.

@Baymule @Mini Horses There may be several more, but I just can't recollect. I'm pretty sure they are much the same as horses... Wish you luck with them! Hope you'll stay around and keep us up on how they're doing. Also, we all thrive on other folks animal pics... If you have a couple you could share, that would be nice.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, glad you joined us! Congrats on you new buddies! My DD asked to add mini donkey(or 2) but we don't have enough land for that!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have any donkeys but I have done lots of research on them.
Pics always help to see in what condition there in. And we thrive on pics.
How tall are they at the withers? They need to have a regulated amount of pasture especially green grass. They need some hay, but they hay can't be to hot. They need a mineral block always available. Some people say they need there hooves trimmed any where form 8 weeks to 4 months, so I would just watch them and if you see that they are over grown then trim them. Do you know anything about there history? That is always a help.
You said one of them is pregnant so how long does she have left?
Welcome from Oregon.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Minis can get real fat real fast. Donkeys are desert animals and are happy on browse or rough pasture. Do not over feed. A half cup of feed per day for each of them, plus free choice hay should be sufficient. If you have lush pasture, watch closely that they don't get too fat on it.

Unless you want more donkeys, the male should be castrated. He might be small, he might be cute, but he is still a stud and can go hormonal on you. The female will come around, it's amazing what a little feed can do. Are they running on the whole 3 acres or do you have a small pen for them?

A good website for lots of info is www.lovelongears.com And there is a magazine you can subscribe to if you wish.

Donkeys are brilliant smart, you will love having donkeys. And did I mention just how darn cute baby mini donkeys are??