We're new to donkeying

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Aww.... great pics. They will make wonderful pets, they are so smart! Look on that website I gave you for recommended wormers. There is a kind you aren't supposed to give to donkeys, but I can't remember which one. I do remember that ivermectrin is safe for them.
I checked it out I asked a man at atwoods he knew exactly what was going on.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great pics. Glad they found there home at last. They do look a bit under weight to me. But I like my animals a bit skinny so I would not be the person to guess.

Apaulsen2890

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Trimming hooves is a must for these little guys. It's like us trimming our fingernails. They get gross and twisted if you don't do anything with them. :) My dad was given a donkey years ago and his hooves were awful and even after years of trimming, his feet can go from ok to awful in a few months. Our horses get trimmed every 6 weeks. The farrier should also be able to tell you if your animals are getting too fat and risking foundering, which is very serious. Absolutely no more than a soup can of feed a day!!! If the pasture is good enough they don't even need feed in the summer months. Our horses (Missouri fox trotter and an enormous Percheron) don't get hay or feed in the summer and are in great shape. They waste more hay than they eat this time of year. But, since your female is pregnant, she could benefit from some mare and goal feed that has extra vitamins to help the little one grow. This feed won't hurt the male if you have to give him some to get her in. Also, you really should castrate the male unless you want another little one. They can be aggressive. Ours would bite the one horses neck and not let go, even when the horse spun around and lifted the donkey off his feet. They may also try to mount you! Never a fun experience. So get him taken care of and find a good, experienced farrier.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow, congrats to your GF for such long life and good health!

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We fed them some alfalfa pelets today as a treat and so they will get comfortable around us. Forrest went crazy when I walked up with the bag. He was making all kinds of noises and and jumping around like a you donkey playing. Jenny wasn't fond of it at first but after Forrest started chomping she didn't mind me much. It seems they like us a lot! I don't know why but when I'm by myself Forrest will run up to me and put he nose on my stomach but this only started yesterday. I knew donkeys were smart but they know the noise of my busted up truck and come to the gate when they hear it. Another surprise was when I took the kids out there at dark I pull up to the gate and Forrest is carrying the big feed pan I put the pellets in earlier that day and drops it at my feet as I walk in the gate. And once again thank you all for the information and advice! I feel so much more positive and more excited about giving these wonderful creatures a loving place to call home forever!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
See? He knows what a feed pan is for....my guy would pick it up & throw it over the fence if you walked on by him at his feeding time.
They really want to please & get attention.

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think he was abuse by a woman and a man took care of him because I took my mom to see them and he did not want to be around her. He is a little skittish around my girlfriend but he is growing fond of her because she rubs him every chance she gets. The person we got them from said they have been on halters before should we even try or just let them get used to us first? I just don't want them to start to trust us and then we mess it up by doing trying halters.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd want to make sure there's a bond before doing anything like halters. You're just beginning with them and they are just learning that you won't hurt them. Once you are firmly bonded, they may be a bit leary when you try new stuff, but as they learn that each new thing doesn't hurt, and that it means additional treats, they'll become even more accepting of new things with you. Like others have said, that are amazingly smart.

Apaulsen2890

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Im glad they're doing well! I wouldn't put halters on them unless you're leading them around. Halters can severely run their skin if they don't fit properly. Also, if they try to scratch their face with a hoof, they can get it caught and end up dying! I know that sounds ridiculous but I know someone who had it happen. They could even get it caught on something else. Our horses never have halters on unless they're being worked with. The goal should be to have them come to you and trust you to put it on when needed instead of having it on to help you catch them.

MayBFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is there any special treats they like specifically? We aren't going to have halters on unless they're beinging worked on or being led to a different field. They don't look as free with a halter on in the field. I also got permission to put them with cow every now and then.