Wesson(Neosporosis) So Stubborn! Coyote wounds now!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Latestarter Smith is never going to take over. We bought Smith and Wesson within months of each other. Smith is only good as a nanny and keeping people away (which is really nice so we appreciate him). We purchased another LGD not long after his diagnosis. We were already searching for a breed to buy this Spring but his illness pushed plans forward. Unfortunately, she just turned 7 months on Jan 3rd. We are very pleased with her and her temperament and well, just about everything..... But she stays in the goat pasture, supposedly with Wesson (who has been Great at teaching her manners) and the pig.
We have introduced her to the chickens and she has stayed all day in our chicken coop (12x80) with Wesson to watch her on many different days. There was never an issue thanks to Wesson. Actually, for the first few weeks she was here Wesson would not let her within 10 feet of any chicken, even when we had her on a leash outside of a pen. We did not push him but respected his opinion. He allows her close now that he has come to trust her some.
We need to protect Wesson from himself! He is far too valuable to us as a partner so as much as he hates it he is stuck in the house for the rest of the weekend at least! Even though we have lost most of our free range chickens our breeders are in the chicken tractor in the front yard. Wesson's health trumps the chicken's lives. (Sorry for the chicken lovers...)

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Hens and Roos Thank you. I think I am calming down now. It is so frustrating! Because of the depth of the puncture wounds I called the vet I volunteer for to get a dosage for antibiotic. We had some left over clindamycin of varying doses. Just enough to last until I get to work Monday and pick more up. Luckily I am quite familiar with varying stages of wounds and can keep a good eye out on how he is doing. Puncture wounds are the worst. If we weren't snowed in I would have considered taking him to the vet for a drain tube.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
He was punctured that deep? Dang... maybe a tussle with that coyote or another earlier/overnight? Hope no infection and that it heals well and fast.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Latestarter, yes he was punctured that deeply. You could see the size of the tooth because one went along under the skin and was inflamed. There were also punctures that went into the muscle and some that tore the skin off in a tooth shape. He is on antibiotics. I do think it was a coyote during the night, not the one I saw them chasing.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Honestly! I knew we had a problem when we moved here. But for the last 4-5 years we have wondered if feeding the dogs was worth it. Talk about a blunt reminder! I mean, we love the boys, especially Wesson (Smith has his place with us as well), but sometimes we wondered if that much dog food was worth it. Oi! :hide Silly us! We are learning just how valuable and important Wesson was. And it is hard. Both because we love him and because of the cost to the livestock. I really would love a started LGD but we don't have the fencing for most... That makes it harder.