Wesson(Neosporosis) So Stubborn! Coyote wounds now!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have fencing for Smith and Wesson, would it not be OK for a started dog as well?

You are right, no chicken is as valuable as Wesson. Even if he were content to be retired from guarding and his job was to teach the younger dog how to behave around the animals. Talk about invaluable.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We do not have fencing for Smith or Wesson. Only our 8-9 acre goat pasture is currently fenced (both could get in and out at will until Wesson got sick and now he is stuck in there). Actually, we also have a small half acre paddock off the barn for goats (bucks) we don't want with our girls. Beyond that, 32 acres all unfenced. They go into my neighbors cattle fields sometimes, but since his calves kept breaking through his fence to sleep in the barn with Wesson the neighbor never complained. Plus, he stopped loosing calves.... They know where our property is, where they are allowed to explore and where they are not welcome. A pup is easier to train to such a situation I would think.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if Smith and Wesson would train a started dog to the boundaries. I'm sure it would depend on the dog. If it is known to roam far and wide, it would be harder. 40ish acres plus your neighbor's cattle field?? Wow, seems you are under dogged.

Neighbor's calf coming to sleep with Wesson is too cute! I bet he is thrilled to let your dogs guard his property.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, at first he gave me this "your dogs pooped in my pasture where I feed", so I told him his calves pooped in my barn where I (remember I am crippled) step... So he was quiet. Then he stopped loosing calves, now he is happy! lol!

As far as training the one pup we have as a replacement... She was very spendy and is friendly to people, I worry.... She was immediately attached to the goats and the pig when she got here, I give credit to a great breeder! Even when the goats got out she stuck by them. But she is only 7 months old... I am sure I will come to trust her as much as I trust Wesson but, if she ran off, or pissed a farther neighbor off, I live in East TN. She would be shot. And the other pup I am getting cost me even more so... :idunno Just paranoid I guess. I will take that into consideration though. If I could find an adult in this breed I like, not pyrenese, then I doubt I would hesitate.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bruce I misread some of what you said. With his injuries, I am not sure he would be able to assert himself over an older dog. Our pup is already 103 lbs and Wesson has just reached 86! Our pup listens to him for now but probably not for long. He really had to put her in her place multiple times when she arrived at 14 weeks old. She was the dominant pup of the litter and used to getting her way. lol Wesson taught her who was in charge!

I am trying to correct the situation of being under dogged...

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
20161227_111811.jpg

This is Wesson and my youngest on Christmas during dinner time.

20170106_103537.jpg

This is the picture I took of him Friday morning just before he went after another coyote. Before I had realized he was already injured from coyotes the night before!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yippee, you did it.

A dog that is all heart, bless his soul. How much land do you have that the dogs have to guard?

ETA: Never mind, I just read it above.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know! I can't believe how long I missed that button. I thought I had to have it online for it to show... I can handle Excel like you wouldn't believe and every other Office (including Access) easily. As well as many other programs but the internet??? Oi

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Everything you can see in that picture is mine and more on the left side as well as wooded area on the right. The tall trees in the back are the end of our property. You can just see the roof of the barn smack dab (nearly) in the middle of the picture hiding behind a hill. It was towards the barn that Wesson went bounding off to chase off another coyote...

ETA: The goat pasture is not at all visible in that picture...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those of us that can use Access are a dying breed. I really enjoyed my time using that program and I make Excel do all kinds of fun things, I even write Macros for it. That being said, I am not fond of Facebook so I understand.

You might need even more dogs...puppies one day?