Wesson(Neosporosis) So Stubborn! Coyote wounds now!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ouch.... $$$ :( What a big love bug! So sorry you're having to deal with this. Dogs are just so special... like one of our kids :love Really hope you can get it figured out and he can have a happy life. :fl:fl

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will definitely be praying for Wesson. My DH has Multiple Sclerosis, so we know all about degenerative myelopathy. :(

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Me too but I am not sure what to do if it comes down to an MRI. I have 3 children in a college prep school... That's why we make our own bread, goats = milk and cheese and meat, pigs = meat, chickens = eggs and meat... Because with the property we have we don't have to supplement grain we don't ever have to buy meat, I also can vegi's from the garden so we can spend that money on the kids' education. I really hope she can figure out what is going on from the blood tests. I hope even more that it is something that can be fixed. We need Wesson and don't want to try and go through another puppy right now. Especially with our current cash flow problems.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay. I'm a REAL dope. Of course, if Wobbler's can be caused by slipped or herniated cervical discs, there is bound to be pain. Sometimes, apparently, it is genetic (primarily with Great Danes) and the slower progression may lead to less pain, but if there is pinching of discs involved, there is certainly pain. In my experience, our beloved canines do their level best not to worry us when they're in pain, so if Wesson is letting you know he's hurting, it can't be good. Our precious Rottweiler, Wrotan Gunnar, died from cancer Feb 14, 2012, and never once cried in pain until his final hours. I laid on the floor beside him and cuddled him like a baby while giving him pain meds for his last few hours. I was so sorry that he had pain at all, but we did our best to ease his passing. Unfortunately, so often with cancer (for people, too) the end is unbearably painful. That's why they put patients on morphine drips, and sometimes you don't know if they died from the cancer or the morphine.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is not DM
DM doesn't present this way
I am very familiar with this as I have been in GSD's my whole life
Gsd's are DNA tested for this as it is a real problem
This isn't DM
What I do not understand unless I missed it somewhere as the storm took out my computer and I'm on a phone that I can't see

Standard of care by any vet would have been to give a cortisteroid injection and X Ray
Depending on spinal injury location not all affect neck

I sure hope you can get another consult
This is very sad

There are a lot of great vets out there but every once in awhile you just go whhaaat

If he is difficult to transport remember there are over the counter things you can use that will relax but not sedate
Most vets that have clients whose dog doesn't travel well will suggest Dramamine or Benedryl and give you the dosage

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The vets have suggested both Dramamine and Benedryl and it still didn't work on him. She could find no sign of any spinal or joint issue. I'm glad to hear you don't think it is DM. She said she was looking at other diseases that are similar and if they are not them then it would likely be DM. No signs of arthritis or hip dysplasia. She did give NSAID. Waiting now until they get the results of the blood test tomorrow.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Blood work showed everything healthy except definite signs of muscle death. No infection etc. Vet is waiting for a consult from UT's neurologist.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a thought - probably not helpful, but what they hey.:idunno A friend's Lab dislocated a hip when he ran into a telephone pole guy wire one dark night. Their vet put it back, but months afterward, the Lab was still walking like your dog. An equine chiropractor saw him, and suggested doing some adjustments - which worked.

Latest posts