Wesson(Neosporosis) So Stubborn! Coyote wounds now!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the update. It is marvelous to hear that progress has been made, and at least Wesson isn't in pain. As gut-wrenching and frustrating as this experience has been for you, I hope that others can benefit from your experience.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I can read the relief in your font! So glad things are turning to the positive for you. I hope it continues and Wesson is able to live out a peaceful remainder of his life with a "job" to do, however minor.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sooo glad to hear that Wesson's pain finally is being managed. My DH has continuous chronic pain with his MS, and the pain is more debilitating than the disease. (My Aunt Janet had a nephew who committed suicide after 2 or 3 years of uncontrolled chronic pain.) ...and weight gain to boot? WOW!!! He sounds like he's not ready to be written off just yet. What a blessing.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just found this thread. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop . . . had to see how things turned out for sweet Wesson.
I'm so glad I did. While the outcome isn't ideal, at least Wesson is no longer in pain and able to continue to do his job, albeit with a decreased workload.

@dejavoodoo114, I'm so sorry you & Wesson had to go through this. But, how generous of you to share the journey, so others can benefit from your experience! :hugs

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you all! @Latestarter we are so relieved that he is doing better! Sometimes I really wished he felt a little worse so I didn't have watch him so carefully. FOR EXAMPLE: Last night he jumped(climbed/fell) out of the window in the screened in porch where we feed him and his replacement. Grrrr he was off chasing something so we couldn't lock him in the pasture. This is a picture of him this morning in our front lawn.
photo.php

(I really hope that actually shows.) I can't figure out how to post pictures!!! (Edited to add this, please help) Edited again to add url straight to post.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1387896077907831&set=pcb.1387896864574419&type=3&theater

Anyway, I was glaring at him through the window (he ignored me) because he is not supposed to be watching the whole property anymore! He is too damaged. Next thing I know this (loving/frustrated expletive) lifts his head, looks toward the barn and launches across the driveway. Smith gets up to back him up and they both tear across the hay field to the far pasture and barn. Wesson keeps landing on his pelvic region as his legs give out but wont slow down at all!!! :he I am angry and furious thinking he is going to throw his back out or make himself worse because a stupid car is coming up our driveway... Turns out it was a coyote eyeing the goats in the pasture and Smith and Wesson chased him off........ :idunno I was glad there was no way he could catch up to the coyote because he would not do very well in a fight. Smith is good for backing Wesson in a fight but Wesson is (was) the real killer.

We now have him trapped in the house though. When we got him back he had a cut on his back paw and a wound on his flank. I am letting him rest before I tackle the flank but I already took care of the paw. He is staying in the house Period! He probably was chasing other stuff off last night because the wound is fresh but not fresh enough to be from that coyote.

:heHonestly it has been so hard to have to keep him locked in the pasture. We have lost over 40 chickens in the past 3 months while he was locked up for his own good! We have maybe 3 left..... That is just one more reason to get that small pasture fenced in so he can protect the chickens and be locked up.

Last edited:

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@sadieml I also understand chronic pain. I am a disabled vet with really messed up hips. My heart really goes out to Wesson because he can't use crutches or cane to get around easier! He now walks the way I do without aid. Actually, we laugh about that a lot. Anyway, that is why I thought it was so important that his pain was taken care of. If he did not lose the pain I would have put him down.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I shaved his flank and his shoulder, both have multiple puncture wounds. Just a scrape on his nose but a bigger, but not huge, cut on his right hind leg near his paw. I was yelling at him in a calm even voice telling him how stubborn stupid he was...... My husband started cracking up, said we were both the same, lions stuck in a crippled body. lol I love that man!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Teared up reading this. What a guy! Damn, don't you just love a good dog? They just never give up or give in! Sorry you've lost all your flock (just about) since Wesson went down. Was able to see the FB pics via the link. He looks so natural and right at home laying out there in the snow doing what he was bred & lives/loves to do. :love He must be feeling much better, though YOU don't see it but concentrate on what he no longer is. Hope you'll continue the occasional updates. Sounds like Smith isn't ready to be the alpha and on his own just yet. Hope Wesson can carry the load till that time comes. You'll most likely be considering another team mate for Smith at some point. Hope he/she is the best ever. :D =D