Bird_Lover_17

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! If you click on this link, you will get to see my thread (on BYC) when I was thinking about horses. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on Enlgish and Western riding. As a child, I remember enjoying western more (when I went horseback riding). Anyways, back to the youtube part. I think (for my personality and general lifestyle) I would like western!

keep in mind: I'm not jumping the gun, I just want info since I'm doing research.

Other things:
-I tried posting this on BYH but it claimed that I didn't have permission to make a thread- ok....
-I know that western traditionally has no helmet, but trust me, I WILL WEAR A HELMET NO MATTER WHAT

Main Questions:
Outfits for show riding
general showing
tips for trail riding
finding a good trainer
finding good tack
anything else!

KayL

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You can tell from the myriad of answers received on BYC that horsemanship and it’s many disciplines is incredibly diverse, and can be quite subjective.

I don’t show horses and am not a great resource for those type questions. Sorry I can’t help you there.

Trail riding is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. If you just want to have a nice time, you can find many groomed trails across the US open to the public for horseback riding. I would suggest (of course) wearing your helmet, and ride with someone you trust to help you in case anything unexpected happens.

For someone just getting into riding, there are probably a good many resources out there for you. Finding a reputable commercial barn that’ll help you establish ground and riding basics would be a good start. You can always decide to hone into a particular discipline later on.

Finding good tack isn’t necessarily difficult, but it is expensive. If you’re just getting into riding you may want to consider reliable yet inexpensive tack. I believe the best way to do this is to have your trainer make recommendations for what will work best for you and your horse.

As a farrier, I get to see all sorts of riders and horses every day. One big mistake I see people make often, is taking on a horse that is far beyond their skill level. Having a skilled and experienced horseman help you purchase a horse will eliminate a lot of issues.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m 65 years old, I ride western. Never had lessons, as a kid I usually rode bareback, took a lot of tumbles, sprang back up and got back on. Now it hurts when I hit the ground, gave up rough horses. LOL

I call my style of riding Western Schlump. I just schlump around for my own enjoyment. I never rode rodeo or showed, I just enjoyed being outside, riding and spending time with my horse.

It’s a life long passion of mine, I need horses like I need breathing. The love of a good horse will take you down many roads and adventures.

Western or English? That’s your choice. Are you going to show? That will take a trailer and truck to pull it. Horses require care, farrier, vet, Feed, hay, time, attention and I can think of no better way to spend my time or money.