Wether kid with small lump

KatandCrowley

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 3 week old wether that has a small (under a dime sized) lump on his face. Near the bottom of his lower jaw. Soft and moveable. He came from a herd that is negative for CL, CAE, and Johnes. No hair loss. He is acting completely normal, very playful. Should I be worried? Thanks

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you got him did you see the records of the test results?

KatandCrowley

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-02-27-09-45-39.png

KatandCrowley

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It is really hard to see, but you can feel it. It is pretty small.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
This might be a long shot, but could he have a small wad or piece of food stuck along the lower edge of his inside cheek? Maybe someone could hold him as someone else puts a finger in his mouth on that side, outside the teeth, and sweep along the lower inside edge of his cheek (if you can, try to reach back further than the lump and above it, and then come down and sweep towards you, not away). Stay away from those teeth, you don't want to get bit!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I am not sure on this one but at only 3 weeks old, I would think it unlikely to be a CL lump. Not saying it isn't possible because I just don't know that, but I would suspect something else first. Use gloves. Do check inside his cheek and look for lumps elsewhere too.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Check to see if food is stuck. Or it may be a suliva build up in the cheek. Also check and see if maybe there is a splinter, or cut.