Wether with a limp from old injury

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a wether goat, approximately one and a half years old, who has a limp.
I'm fairly sure that it was caused by him getting a back leg caught up in a fence when he was quite young, but it has been slowly getting worse.
Here's a video of him a couple of months ago
but since then it has got a quite a bit worse, to the point where I think he's loosing a bit of weight from not wanting to walk.
Sometimes he just goes around on his knees
Is there anything I can do here? I can't notice anything when I feel the leg, there's nothing to see.
I'm starting to wonder if it would be kinder to cull him.
Thanks for any help!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s a tough decision. Have you checked his hoof? He could have an infected gland between his toes. His hood may have grown out, curled under and is causing pain. I’m just throwing it out there, you may have already checked his feet out.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have checked his hooves, although not really specifically for hoof rot, as that is something we have never had to deal with.
I don't think that is the issue, but I'll have another look to make sure.
What would it look like, if it was hoof rot? Or what would I be looking for?

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not just an infected gland but Hoof Rot? That would be my very first thought... especially if he is going around on his knees some.
So I had a look, and all his hooves look perfect. Nice and clean and dry.
I think the problem is like in his hips, or something. I think culling might be they way to go, as I just don't see it getting any better the older he gets. And at least now, he should still be young enough to be pretty tasty, I guess.
I have never butchered one of the goats before, they have always been pets, and a bit for the fiber.
But I would like to get into meat goats a bit more, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise, as it might help, if it needs done, rather then using a perfectly healthy goat.
But oh dear...I'm not looking forward to it.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The first time is hard. I say a prayer over the animal, thanking God and the animal for providing food for family.
I'm just not sure.
My dad thinks its a good idea culling him, and my rational side thinks its a good idea.
But my emotional side is telling me to give him a bit longer, that he wasn't meant to be a meat animal, how sweet he is, etc. etc.
I guess I'm just looking a for a bit of reassurance as to what I ought to do??