Wethered sheep with a buck?

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is a totally crazy, probably dumb question. But I'm going to ask anyway. Would a wethered sheep work as a companion for a buck during the "off season" when he can't be kept with the ladies, or is that just not a great idea? Looking around for a wether for our year-old Kiko buck and a friend mentioned she has a good-natured, polled young ram who could be wethered... and I don't want to raise sheep, but I could use the fleece from a single sheep for spinning and knitting.

I know copper would be an issue, but we've opted to use copper boluses for the goats so that would be manageable. I'm wondering about the companionship aspect of things. I've been reading stuff via Google, but all I'm coming across is intact rams with bucks and cautions that the rams can get mean during peak hormonal times. Assuming the ram's hormones are out of play (plus no ewes around here anywhere) would they bond and be good companions for each other or are they just too different for it to be worthwhile? I love the idea of having a wool source if the sheep could fill a need we already have, but if it's just not a good idea, we'll get a wether and I'll buy my wool already washed and ready to spin. ;)

Thanks for your help to clueless me and my crazy ideas!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, IMHO, Generally speaking, it "might" work, or then again, it might not. They don't speak the same language after all... You can keep your buck by himself as long as he can see and talk to the does, that counts as "company". Just make sure you have a strong (and high) fence between them to prevent breeding.

Latest posts