wethering question

Danner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
4 weeks I banded my first ram lamb. I was checking the results yesterday and was surprised to find that he still has one testicle. I had tried to be very careful to make sure I had both in the band. Can he still breed? Should I butcher him when the time comes and band a different ram? He seems to be fine otherwise, but will it cause other health issues?

Thanks

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he has one testicle that totally eluded the band - and the testicle is fully descended - he can likely still breed. Why not just band the remaining testicle?

Danner

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was wondering if that was a possibility. I'm not sure if the whole testicle escaped the band. It seems pretty firm, but that might be because the other one is gone.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be absolutely sure it's a testicle before you band it though.. If it were really squishy I might wonder if it was a hernia and that it is actually a loop of intestine. You should be able to feel the difference. If in doubt - consult a vet!

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been through this situation, which is why I no longer band. Ever since we've switched to the burdizzo we haven't had any problems. I had two pregnancies as a result of my failed banding technique. I love the resulting lamb of course, but I didn't want that breeding pair or that timing. I would personally not try to band it again because a lot of the scrotum would be gone now from the initial banding. If it is descended enough that you can feel above it, then I would take a burdizzo to it or have your vet do it.