Wethers 3 yrs old has stopped eating. Any suggustions.. it has been a week... maybe few mouthfuls of hay .. sca

J williams

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I probably sound crazy ...but I would give him some peanut oil in a syringe (1/3 cup)for bloat and a warm soapy enema to remove packed stool....and possible worms ( yep it has happened to me before) ..just keep up the enemas till you get clear water coming out, and use your gloved finger against the rectum to hold the fluid in to soften the stool for a few moments till he wants to shoot it out... place him across your lap and on a towel when you give him the fleet enema...good luck getting your little guy well and eating again :highfive:
Thank you thankyou going to get peanut oil and emema.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suspect worms of some sort, and lots of them. You've had good advice given already, imo. The only thing I can add is to get him checked for worms and what kind then treat. Side note: Is he rumenating?
Not eating for a week is serious and scary.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@rachels.haven is right on about the worms, you most likely will see a bunch come out during the enemas, but you will still need to treat the goat for the unseen worms and eggs....pick up any worms and dispose of them quickly into a zip loc bag. You should be able to look at them and identify what kind they are if you look up goat worms on the internet...let us know how things are "moving along "( pun on words ;))

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, now that we’re on the topic of goat berries and worms...do you guys rake up the pasture? My goats are free range but mostly stick around to the same area. Someone on BYC asked me about it. I have not done that...as, I’d be raking...tons of areas....but if I have to..I will!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, now that we’re on the topic of goat berries and worms...do you guys rake up the pasture? My goats are free range but mostly stick around to the same area. Someone on BYC asked me about it. I have not done that...as, I’d be raking...tons of areas....but if I have to..I will!!
Most goat owners that have the land and separate pastures rotate their animals from pasture to pasture. I can't do that here so we do rake daily in the goat house and in the outside eating area where they tend to poop more. Weekly I
rake up any area that has a accumulation of berries, and either compost it or make goat berry tea for my plants ( 5 gal bucket, 1/3 berries and 2/3 water, let set for several days till it looks like "tea" and serve to plants )

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very concerning. If it were me I'd try to get the vet at this point, but the other goaters are more experienced and may have more knowledge on the issue.