What´s the point of having a LGD....

Dage

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you have to have such a dang good fence to keep The LGDs in anyways? We have 15 goats...and more on the way. We love our goats and have recently moved to a new area. We have yet to put up better fences which we are working towards, and meanwhile the neighbors dogs come over nightly and many times in the wee hours of the morning after the goats. I AM NOT sleeping well! We are considering LGDs or GSDs for protection from the neighbor´s dogs. But if we are putting up hurricane type fencing anyway whats the real point in either? Please clue me in! We need the RIGHT kind of dogs for our situation! Not to mention getting something that is available to us where we are! And what about donkeys? or Llamas? Thank you for any help anyone can give us with this! We don´t want to just run and get a LGD or GSD and then realise we didn´t educate ourselves! Thanks again!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can share more later but GSD's are not Livestock guardians and pose a risk to them. Nor can they take on a pack of coyotes, or dogs.
GSD's are herding dogs and do not have the temperament for livestock guardian work.
LGD's can. They are wired to do what they do.

BTW- My GSD (Shcutzhund started) is no match for any one single LGD i own. She could be their lunch. They have let her know more than once to move along and not get near the goats.

Dage

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would very much like an Anatolian Shepherd or even a couple from what I have read, but am inexperienced in the way of LGDs. I understand that Great Pyrenees are difficult to train so The AS would probably be my preference...but as it is am not even sure I have any LGDs as an option as I live South of the equator. Any advice would greatly be appreciated....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I live in east Texas and it is HOT HOT HOT! I have two GP's and make sure they have plenty of fresh water and shady places to lay up in.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
South of the equator is a pretty big area
Half of the earth to be exact :)
Where abouts ?

Reactions: TAH

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I live in No. California and don't let that North part lead you astray. It get well over 100 here, sometimes 115°. I have three LGD but one is pup and just learning the ropes. My other two are mixes of Pyr and Anatolians and one looks like a Pry and one has short hair like the Toli. Neither of them were hard to train but they definitely are independent thinkers and do what they think best.

My fence will keep my goats in. 2x4 no climb with hot wire at the top and at the goat's knee height. Neither of my dogs are incessant diggers so no bottom wire. They both respect the fence and don't try and get out.

I have LGDs for many reasons. My fence may keep goats and dogs in but not so sure it would keep coyotes and strays out. My dogs bark at vultures and other birds, thus keeping the chickens safe too. They alert me to things that are not right in the barn, like a kid being born in a water trough (literally...my male cleaned it and saved its life) and goats in labor. They protect the new kids from other does and will clean them if the mom doesn't get to it in time. They run the goats into the barn when they sense danger and most importantly for me, they keep me safe from two legged intruders.

I LOVE MY DOGS and will never have goats again without them.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
babsbag- I don't currently have a LGD and haven't had one before, but you just sold me! They really do a lot more than just watch the fence for predators don't they... That's family, how amazing to see species intermingle and take care of each other like that. My pet dogs just annoy my goats haha! That's a special creature.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
There can be a steep learning curve. They usually don't come chicken trained but most of them learn to leave them alone. As pups they have to be watched, some may chase stock and want to play, a definite no no. My first two were perfect with the goats, but they were both pups and had each other. My puppy is a pill and at 7 months is finally "getting it". I still don't trust her early morning without supervision...the cooler it is the more she wants to play. Some say it can take two years before they are trustworthy with livestock and I say that is way too long. IMO a good LGD should be able to be with adults goats immediately and with babies when they are a year. But you need to be prepared that your LGD may not be perfect. You need to have a way to separate them if you need to not only for chasing but to keep a pup from getting hurt by aggressive stock.

I can't imagine my barn without my dogs. I am home by myself most all week, day and night, and often I am doing chores and milking in the dark. I used to be scared to death and would plan my day so that I flat out was not outside at night. Now with the dogs I come and go with no worry. If they aren't barking I know I am safe. And if they are barking I know that nothing will get me.

I also have about a 3 acre field that is very hilly and when the goats are out there I can't see them. I would be very worried about them grazing alone, but the dogs go with them. They will lay in the shade and watch and if the dogs sense danger they do the bark and patrol and the goats head for home, they really do understand each other.

But also be prepared that some LGDs are barkers...all night barkers. They should not do that, but some do and some people say it is just an LGD. I had a barker and it did not make for good neighbors. Unfortunately I had to have him put down (not for barking) but his replacement does not bark unless there is a reason, my female doesn't either. But some do so just be ready to spend some time with them as pups telling them that they don't have to bark at the falling star or leaf. :)

They aren't always perfect as pups, but it is soooo worth it in the end.