What a mess!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We got up this morning are ready for the barn. DH went out the door first and was back in, in a flash for the big spot light. Something was in the field by the house he could hear the crunching of the icy snow with them walking.

It turned out to be a good chunk of the group of big heifers. They were first moving this way and then going that way. Acting all upset. It was also a strange place for them to be. They have access to that field right now but, they are fed over in the pasture and haven't been in the field since right after snow started flying a month and a half ago.

I quickly got my boots and coat on and headed out to the barn for the other spot light. We were shinning and trying to find all the heifers when I saw eyes that weren't heifers! It was down in a hollow in the field and far enough away that all I could catch were the eyes but, that is what the heifers were moving away from.

DH went out to do more checking while I started milking and chores. He didn't find it and I'm sure it took off when he headed out there. All the heifers appear to be fine but, fences are down all over. It's dark out right now but, later with daylight, fences will have to be fixed and hopefully we can get the heifers back over to the pasture. They wouldn't go for DH this morning and I'm not surprised. The last place the prediator was seen was between them and the gate back to the pasture.

With not being able to see anything but it's eyes, we can't be sure but, suspect the wolves are back in the area.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kute Kitten is up and she says that she heard howling and Penny barking in the night. We told her next time to wake us up!

I just watched a bunny in the yard. It's staying pretty close to cover.

COUNTRYMAN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that FK, but happy to hear it sounds all the gals are ok. I'm glad at the momment we dont have wolves to worry about here. Have you ever considerd getting a couple LGD's? might be somthing to consider
Here is my boy Dusty, it really takes getting them when they are pups and raising them with the animals, they really turn on.....but even as young pups they are a sight to behold and they will definately let you know somthin is goin on that shouldnt be ...just a thought ....
Dusty to date, 1 bear ran off, 1 bobcat killed, several coyotes ran off, many raccoons and opposums taken out and many stray dogs ran off, he is happy to run you out of his home but will fight like a grizzly if need be
20206_pups2.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a St. Bernard and they are make great watch and guard dogs. I know that is not what they are known for but, it is their original job. Saints originated from a brown and white dog farmers in the valleys of the Swiss Alps used. One was gifted to the monks in the St. Bernard monestary and it's from that dog and some cross breeding that the St. Bernard has come from. The herding and guarding instint is still there.

Penny is more guard dog than herding and Heidi, our previous Saint, was more of a herder. She would go right down the middle of DH's father's belguin work horses and turn them around. Those things have HUGE feet! Heidi lived to be 10 1/2 years and I believe she would have lived longer if she hadn't gotton lost for a week at Christmas time. That took a lot out of her.

Ironically, Heidi was born on Christmas day and died on June 28th (many birthdays and anniversaries in DH's family on this date) 11 1/2 years ago. Penny was born a few days later on July 4th!

Kute Kitten said Penny was barking but, neither DH or I heard her. She was either around where it didn't carry to us or we were to sound asleep.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
What a way to start the day!

According to one of Hubby's hunting magazines, they released some wolves in our state? Hopefully it was on the other side of the mountains!

The boy was raised to wake us up, if he heard noises in the night! When he got older, I gave him his own gun and spotlight and told him to only wake me if needed!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Hey Countryman!
I saw that pic on the other board, he's gorgeous!
We can't have them here, I've seen pics of what happens when they get into the burs around here, it is not pretty!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our darn DNR released them here too. Last I heard there were roughly 250 more wolves than they figured the wildlife could sustain. They were taken off the federal endangered species list and everyone was happy as a hunting season could be applied for and then they could be thinned. Well, one of those animal rights groups got in the middle and now they are protected again! :barnie We can shoot them legally if we are having trouble with them and the livestock but, you have to be able to prove it and report it within so many hours.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in SSS!

It was the animal rights morons that got hound hunting for bear and cougar, banned in this state. Can't post my thoughts on that, this is a family board!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's a well known fact,here, that if you gut shoot a wolf they will go back to the pack, which will finish them off.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
It's a well known fact,here, that if you gut shoot a wolf they will go back to the pack, which will finish them off.
REEALLY?
I will have to keep that in mind!

I know if I gut shoot anything else, my dogs will take care of it!
Which is why two of them get so weird when Hubby is duck hunting! All that shooting and they don't get to get in on it!