What age/breed is she?

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You have a tort ... mini rex ... ooops! Not doe! Remember that the mini gene can produce a larger animal, not standard rex in size. But one that is larger than the breed standard allows. It's just all in the genes and how the dwarfing gene plays out in your particular rabbit. He is a cute ... hug and enjoy.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
bluemini said:
Is she for meat ?
She's going to be a breeder for meat rabbits. My buck is a cross (Am. Chin X Silver Fox) so I wasn't too concerned with getting a papered doe. If I decide I truly like raising meat rabbits then I'll go ahead and find registered stock. :)
You don't need registered stock to raise meat rabbits. Purebred? Maybe....but mixed rabbits usually make great meat rabbits. Pedigreed? Probably, just so you know their background. Registration is for show rabbits.

Shannon

therealsilkiechick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
looks like a purebred tort-choc mini rex to me. i agree about 4-5 mths old. at different stages sometimes their fur doesn't always look like it should especially before a moult or depending on the feed they r on. rex can have astrex fur too(curly, kinked) not all r velvety. it looks like he is in his junior coat and hasn't gotten his adult molt/look yet. for a rex to show the rex fur u need a gene from each parent or a double gene to express it. mini rex go here without peds for $10 he is a beautiful buck!! :)

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dbunni said:
You have a tort ... mini rex ... ooops! Not doe! Remember that the mini gene can produce a larger animal, not standard rex in size. But one that is larger than the breed standard allows. It's just all in the genes and how the dwarfing gene plays out in your particular rabbit. He is a cute ... hug and enjoy.
x2. I'd bet money it's a tort (black) mini rex (I don't think it's a chocolate tort either, it's points are too dark. A choc tort mini rex can almost be mistaken for a smutty red). Often times their fur starts off looking a little...fuzzy for lack of a better word...and gets that mini rex (finishes and comes into prime) look, depending on the animal, between 4 months and a year.
He's super cute, though! I also agree with dbunni about him being able to produce some larger animals, especially if he's a little on the larger size. Might actually be good to have some smaller meat buns depending on space/feed issues. Good luck with him! :D

Edit: Just for reference, here's a link to shaded mini rex colors (choc torts are under non-recognized varieties)
Shaded Mini Rex Guide

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I just got a call from someone who may be interested in buying him, so we'll see. I'm kind-of attached to him, but I would sell him to the right person I think. I just don't know if he'll fit into my plans.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Thanks everyone! I just got a call from someone who may be interested in buying him, so we'll see. I'm kind-of attached to him, but I would sell him to the right person I think. I just don't know if he'll fit into my plans.
You were really looking for a doe and understand about sticking to plans. Wishing you luck that this someone interested in this sweet buck is the right person. :fl