What age can you breed a goat?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I go by how the goat grows / acts.
I have a black boer doe who didn't get bred her first year b/c she's very small, another who's a month younger who kidded twins fine. If I JUST went by the 80# / 8 mos. rule, I'd have bred them both...and probably regretted it.
I tend to let the finer-boned dairy breeds wait it out more often than the boers, and I have one BoKi doe who's only 3, who's had 8 kids and milks 1.5 gallons a day. She's definitely a keeper.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
traditionally you breed them to kid down at 2 yrs old

if they are well grown, and you have a good nutrition and management plan to keep them growing, you can breed them to kid down at 12 - 13 months no problems, but your management and nutrition needs to be better

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I breed my Nigerians at 15 to 18 mths of age and the larger type goat usually its 9 mths or 80 lbs and depending on if she was a multiple makes a big difference also. If she was a triplet or quad I wait longer as they dont seem to grow as fast.
Nigerians if multiples I wait till they are 2 if they seem old enough. I have a doeling from a set of quads and she is 2 now but her weight is still a little off so she might wait longer. You have to determine the mentallity of the goat and her size. JMO