What age to stop breeding does

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thinking for future reference. What age do yo normally stop breeding your does and what do you do with them when they are to old?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure, this year we have a doe who turned 7 years old and she just had triplets and another doe who turned 6 years old and she currently has quads. We will monitor how well they are able to take care of their kids(weight/growth) plus what their condition looks like while nursing the kids and after the kids are weaned.

Hopefully others will offer their insight as well!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some depends on health & care. Plus whether they were used for milk production as well. That takes a LOT of effort on their part & certainly enough extra feed and care for them to continue to flourish.

When mine are through kidding, they retire right here. :love I am fortunate to have the land, shelter and all else to maintain them.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some depends on health & care. Plus whether they were used for milk production as well. That takes a LOT of effort on their part & certainly enough extra feed and care for them to continue to flourish.

When mine are through kidding, they retire right here. :love I am fortunate to have the land, shelter and all else to maintain them.

How many years do you usually let a healthy doe breed ...if she kids once a year ?:frow

Last edited:

Grandma Betty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
With the exception of the fryers, aged animals here become weed wackers...keeping the fence line clear is an important job.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have an 8 yr old who just had triplets. These will be her last. I don’t want to take a chance. A friend of mine retires hers at 10 yrs old.