What age will pigs eat scraps?

freechicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have two ten week old gilts that we acquired last weekend and they won't touch any vegetable scraps yet. Is this normal for their age? When will they eat vegetables/fruits/etc?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
IF you are including potato, onion or cucumber peelings in your scraps then that might be your problem. Pigs like those better when they are cooked. I boil my fruit and vegetable scraps in enough water to cover them and never have any problem whatsoever.

Garlic and turmeric are good to add on occasion too along with a few eggs. They'll help your pigs grow out a bit better and have a good amount of health benefits. I am a chef and a farmer, I shy away from artificial everything and like to find natural solutions for my stock. I have studied spices and herbs quite a bit and suggest that you pick up a book or guide to thumb through in you spare time, you'll find all sorts of neat stuff.

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It may just be their choice of taste? Our pigs do not like sour fruits such as lemons or limes. They aren't fond of potatos either but over time they do eat them I am assuming because the potatos disappear. Onions were an acquired taste for them but now they ravage them. Keep giving them.... ;)