What am I?

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This little fella was adopted and we know he is half Nubian (mom was purebred). Now I have some suspicions as to what the other half is, but don't want to prejudice the experienced eyes here.

7_hpnx0194.jpg

7_hpnx0193.jpg

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
has a VERY soft coat.
Can someone expand upon this? I'm taking this to mean that certain breeds have softer coats than others? If so, this may be an answer to one of my goat's heritage.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Harder to tell with young kids but on adults it is really noticeable. For example: My Saanens have a much coarser coat than the Toggenburg. Get the hairs under a powerful magnifying glass or better yet a microscope and the Saanen hairs are noticeably thicker also. This includes the Toggs with short coats. The "wooly mammoths" as a few here refer to the long haired Togg also have a notably softer and more plyable coat.

I use the hairs in fly tying and you really notice it there.

I really didn't note it so much until we started running a number of breeds here.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Man... I would have sworn Pygmy(cause of the shape of the head), but then you said big..... hmmm.... I would assume either a pure Alpine, or an Alpine x of some sort

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mom is pure registered Nubian. She apparently went wandering for about 10 days and then came home. That would mean she hiked over the border and partied with the boys there and got pregnant.

Funny thing is, I had a cow hike over the border and got knocked up by an angus a few years ago.

For growth he has out distanced every purebred buckling I have here. Has to be some real hybrid vigor at work.

It may be the pic angle and the lead rope that throws off size perspective. That lead rope is heavy and the same rope I use to make cow halters.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does cou blanc occur all that frequently in Nubians? I don't think it does. I'd guess Alpine based on the color.