What animals protect chickens?

TXFarmGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are having predator problems...hawks and foxes are getting our chickens. Barn and fencing isn't the problem. We are wandering what animal(s) we should get to protect them? LGD isn't an option. Thanks!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why not an LGD?

I can't think what else would keep fox away, those sure can be smart and crazy bold.

For hawks.... if it is just smaller hawks, a flock of geese might work. Eagles though will take out geese.

TXFarmGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmmm, ok. Thanks.

We don't have enough time to train a LGD puppy for 2 years, and continue loosing chickens to it and the predator during that time.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at the dog rescue sites and Craigslist. Sometimes there are good dogs that are available because of their owners moving, sickness, etc.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most likely the hawks will require overhead netting. I have also heard that donkeys hate canines and will attack a fox. I have no personal knowledge though.

However, proper fencing should keep foxes out, especially if there is some hot wire over the top.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hawks will avoid owls, we have ordered several that there heads move with the breeze, but we have seen them at lowes. Several neighbors have them and they say it works around here. And we have lots of hawks !

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Black Widow
Cheetah
Desert Eagle
Panther
Bushmaster
Python
Taurus Bull
Redhawk
Bearcat
Diamondback
Rhino
Bulldog and Bulldog Pug
Llama
Raptor
Blackhawk
Warthog
Bruin
Scorpion
Marlin
Golden Mallard
Kestrel
And of course...a Colt.
;)
:D =D

(so says :old the "Trigger Happy Cowboy")

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only problem with those suggestions is that they might keep the other predators away - but there wouldn't be any chickens left to protect, lol. I think the "Trigger Happy Cowboy" is the best predator deterrent! :)

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've done a little research and it seems that donkeys (standard and mini) will protect chickens after they bond with them....And they definitely do kill coyotes/foxes :)